Josekle 🟢⚪🟣🟢🟣

Someone has just reported a bug that affects today’s hard puzzle

3 Likes

Would that bug happen to look something like this?

Summary

3 Likes

I’m so sorry :disappointed:

2 Likes

Maybe it’s just an extra hard joseki :joy:

5 Likes

I want my money back!

3 Likes

But if you fix it we’ll double your salary!

2 Likes

The hot fix is now live. Try refreshing the page (may need a hard refresh to ensure that the latest code is pulled). I think it should indicate that you have already gotten it, when restoring the hints.

If something weird happens, click on this link to reset all stored data.

4 Likes

No need to apologize, here at SekL* we have a culture of blameless incident reviews. We’ll be sure to have a one hour long meeting discussing the various systemic issues that led to this production bug. The outcome will be a long list of followups, which will be useful to point at in subsequent incident reviews, when the problem repeats itself, after we prioritize new features over fixing bugs.

*tech startupy name enough? all ready for the 4 letter stock ticker symbol for the big IPO!

3 Likes

More seriously, thanks for the hot fix. I’m looking at the issue with the scraper now

4 Likes

Ok the other puzzles with this problem should be fixed now.

details which have spoilers for today

the root cause is this is the first puzzle with a move outside the upper right quadrant and the coordinate translation was buggy for it

3 Likes

Fusekle #9 (8 moves)
:green_circle::green_circle::purple_circle::purple_circle::purple_circle::purple_circle::purple_circle::green_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::purple_circle::purple_circle::green_circle::purple_circle::green_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::purple_circle::green_circle::purple_circle::green_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle:

Is there any way to leave hard mode (except clearing local storage)? I had two different tabs open for a while, one for default mode and one for hard mode, but now I’ve reloaded the default mode tab and it has switched to hard mode too.

You can toggle it off via the link on the help page. Is that not working?

2 Likes

Oh sorry, that helped, yes. Thanks.

1 Like

Has anybody run into problems with the way the red letters appear on the board to show new branches in the node tree?

I’m not referring to it behaving in a way it shouldn’t. Rather I mean that the way the letters appear for points you’ve clicked on, regardless of whether you’ve submitted it.

For me, I frequently click a particular point just to look at it and see how it looks on the board, then I decide against it and submit something else. However, that point still does up as a red letter even though I didn’t submit it. Often what happens is the point I chose not to submit is actually the correct answer, and from then on out I try every move but the correct one because I’ve forgotten that I never submitted it, and the red letter on the purple circle makes me think that I have.

If I’m not the only one with this problem, maybe it would make sense to only show the letters for variations that have been submitted?

1 Like

Note that you can delete braches to clean things up a bit. However, I guess this is another design aspect to consider for refactoring the hint system.

1 Like

You can also turn off the coordinates letters with a button.

1 Like

Ah I didn’t realize that’s how the delete button would work, but that helps a lot. And makes perfect sense. I don’t know why I didn’t realize this😅

1 Like

Josekle #29 (8 moves)
:green_circle::green_circle::white_circle::white_circle::purple_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::purple_circle::purple_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::white_circle::purple_circle::purple_circle::white_circle::purple_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::white_circle::white_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::white_circle::white_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::white_circle::green_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::white_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::white_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle:

Fusekle #11 (6 moves)
:purple_circle::purple_circle::purple_circle::purple_circle::purple_circle::purple_circle:
:purple_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::purple_circle::green_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle:

1 Like

Josekle #30 (7 moves)
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::white_circle::white_circle::purple_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::purple_circle::green_circle::purple_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle:

I was lucky with my starting sequence, but I think that

there's an inconsistency in OJE

The joseki in the given sequence can be found at 20887 and is tagged with “Joseki: Done”, but it also links to the equal position 22387 which has no “Joseki: Done” tag. And I don’t think the joseki is done at that point, because white has to answer somehow. Otherwise the hane on the inside is very damaging.

4 Likes