KataGo 7 komi self-play games

Game 55 (7 komi, NZ rules) was another absolutely riveting game, with giant territories on both sides, which as a human, I love to see:

1 Like

My review of game 49:

4 Likes

Thank you so much! <3

First off, [removed because I realized this wasn’t our DM chat, lol]

Second, oh my God thank you - your reviews are only getting more detailed! :slight_smile: That was so much fun to go through. It feels like in order to make up for keeping the video’s runtime to an hour, you now talk at 1.5 speed to fit in more information, which is fine by me. :smiley: (Unless the video is actually sped up?! Otherwise, your English is excellent for a foreign speaker!)

As usual, I’ve added all of your variations to the demo board, as well as extensive bonus variations by high-playout KataGo. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve added plenty of high-playout KataGo variations to Antti’s review, as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can white save its center dragon in game 56 (7 komi, NZ rules) to secure a win?

1 Like

My review of game 55, which featured an amazing invasion:

3 Likes

Definitely entertaining as well as educational. These videos always make my day :slight_smile:

Here’s the annotated review with your comments and bonus KataGo variations: KataGo 7 komi self-play - game 55

1 Like

Game 57 (7 komi, NZ rules) ended up as a draw where everything lived pretty much how you’d have expected around move 150, but don’t let that fool you. For a while, some insane trades were on the table, as reflected by the score chart…

Game 58 (7 komi, NZ rules) in which black develops a huge center moyo is beautiful IMO. Notable moves: 57 - So cool. :slight_smile: 182 - After playing this move, KataGo realized that white was winning by 2 points. Black casually wastes some ko threats and ends up losing by 4 points.

In game 59 (7 komi, NZ rules), the lower-right looks almost like a “joseki” in that moves 13 - 43 are almost throughout the same moves favoured by the policy network. On the board, it looks intricately balanced too. So cool. M8 seems to finish the position.

2 Likes

Black loses game 60 (7 komi, NZ rules) despite capturing a large white group by move 133.

Game 61 (7 komi, NZ rules) starts out with a complex bottom-right fight that eventually spills into the center.

The opening of game 62 (7 komi, NZ rules) looks so alien and yet beautifully balanced. By move 112, black has at least a 20-plus-points lead in solid territory (diagram below by @Clydevil, ~2d). Move 120 is a casual 7th-line shoulder hit. At move 186, white is about 16 points ahead. I think around move 145 is where black starts wasting ko threats.

2 Likes

Fuseki index is also up to speed again:

2 Likes

Game 63 (7 komi, NZ rules) was a ridiculously complicated game that ended up with one of the most massive trades I’ve ever seen.

3 Likes

In game 64 (7 komi, NZ rules), black takes four corners. To this 13k human, throughout the game it looks like white can’t possibly have enough, but of course it’s a super-close game as always. By move 233, it’s clear that black is ahead by two points. Move 242 is when white starts wasting ko threats. Eventually black wins by 14 or 16 points.

Game 64 will be the last 19 x 19 game I’ve played for a while. Our tally at this point is 11 black wins, 24 draws and 29 white wins.

3 Likes

In game 65 (7 komi, NZ rules), white builds a single ginormous territory and loses by two points.

Game 66 (NZ rules, 7 komi) is all about complicated mid-game fighting.

Game 67 (NZ rules, 7 komi) looks “ordered” and almost human to me for the first 89 moves. Move 90 is when things start to get fancy.

2 Likes

Nice to see this topic alive again.

1 Like

Feel free to comment on any moves you find interesting to motivate me even further. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Game 68 (7 komi, NZ rules) features two kos fought around 1-1 points. The one in the lower left looks downright bizarre to this 10kyu. How cool is 202. C1?! :)

1 Like

In game 69 (7 komi, NZ rules), black builds a giant center moyo into which white jumps at move 34. By move 156, white is ahead by 2 points. Afterwards, black wastes ko threats and loses by at least 8 points.

Game 70 (7 komi, NZ rules) features an uncharacteristic large drop in winrate after move 159, and suddenly black is at least 8 points ahead.

In game 71 (7 komi, NZ rules), after 151. T2, white is ahead by at least six points. Black ends up dying on a massive scale and loses by 80 points.

@terrific, OGS 5d, did a 125-minute YouTube review of this game!

I’ve added all of his (commented) variations, plus more KataGo variations, to the OGS review as well.

5 Likes