KataGo 7 komi self-play games

In game 40 (New Zealand rules, 7 komi), white builds a center moyo. Black invades it at move 63 and claims more than half of it. Some major trades occur elsewhere. In the end, black wins by 4 or 6 points.

Game 41 (New Zealand rules, 7 komi) was a spectacular, messy-looking whole-board fight. Another incredible tie, bringing our final tally of this series to 10 black wins, 11 ties and 20 white wins. I will return to exploring AGT positions until spook implements the newest Kata net on ZBaduk.

1 Like

Anton Christenson, EGF 3d did a 65-minute YouTube review of this game!

I’ve added all of his (commented) variations, plus more KataGo variations, to the OGS review as well:

2 Likes

In my endeavour of exploring AlphaGo Teach positions (Chinese rules, 7.5 komi) in which white plays a mistake on move 2 to give black a closer-to-even winrate, KataGo has found a few move 2s which are not included in AlphaGo Teach’s database. This is my first pure KataGo self-play game with Chinese rules and 7.5 komi, in which white miscalculates a ko and black is ahead by about 27 points by move 179:

1 Like

Anton Christenson, EGF 3d did a 78-minute YouTube review of this game!

I’ve added all of his (commented) variations, plus more KataGo variations, to the OGS review as well.

2 Likes

In my endeavour of exploring AlphaGo Teach positions (Chinese rules, 7.5 komi) in which white plays a mistake on move 2 to give black a closer-to-even winrate, KataGo has found a few move 2s which are not included in AlphaGo Teach’s database. This is my second pure KataGo self-play game with Chinese rules and 7.5 komi, which black wins by 1.5 points:

In my series of “white mistakes on move 2 to get winrates closer to 50 %”, I’ve most recently played game 42 of my KataGo (7 komi, NZ rules) series. This is, as far as I recall, the first game in this series in which KataGo plays a 3-3 invasion of a lone 4-4 stone. As if on purpose, not long after the invasion joseki is finished, KataGo sacrifices the entire invading group and the other player builds an 80-point territory around it. As with all ties in this series, black’s winrate first drops considerably before it goes back up towards 50 %, but in this game, the initial drop is much steeper (to around 14 %) and I almost resigned the game for black after it wastes a few ko threats. The winrate slants back up once white decides to waste a few ko threats of its own. Did I mention the black stone which white captures in a ladder three times before black saves it in the end? Funny game.

Game 43 (7 komi, NZ rules) was the latest in my series of high-playout KataGo self-play games with a white mistake on move 2 to get winrates closer to 50 %. This one featured complicated fighting everywhere. White sacrifices 14 stones inside black’s right side territory with no clear (to me) benefit or loss. It ended up as a tie.

Game 44 (7 komi, NZ rules) was the first game in this series using a new KataGo net! As a reward, we get our first game with a black 3-4 opening. Early fighting breaks out in the lower-right corner and black builds a center moyo as a result. Another tie.

Game 45 (7 komi, NZ rules) is our first game with an early (move 3) 3-3 invasion, soon followed by a second one that develops similarly. A very complicated game - and another tie. Our current tally is 10 black wins, 15 ties and 20 white wins.

1 Like

Btw I would love comments from anyone who goes to the trouble of checking out these games :slight_smile: Don’t be shy to leave variations on the demo boards either!

1 Like

Ooo, I’d be much too shy for that. But maybe I’ll challenge myself!

1 Like

In game 46 (7 komi, NZ rules), white builds a 40-point lower side territory while black gets three and a half corners. This game is our sixteenth tie.

5 Likes

Game 47 (7 komi, NZ rules) sees black spending four moves to surround white’s 4-4 stone by move 21. Of course, that stone ends up living, anyway. Black itself makes six living groups. After it realizes that white is gonna win by 2 points, black starts wasting ko threats and white wins by at least 12 points.

3 Likes

Fuseki demo board for all the games so far: KataGo self-play fuseki

2 Likes

Remember when kick after keima approach was considered bad ?
Pepperidge farm remembers

2 Likes

Game 48 (7 komi, NZ rules) was a complicated game with fighting all over the place. Black starts wasting ko threats near the end and loses by at least 12 points.

1 Like

In game 49 (7 komi, NZ rules) black develops a large right side in exchange for its lower-right corner. Even more trading occurs later on. You know the gist by now - another beautifully balanced tie.

4 Likes

Game 50 (7 komi, NZ rules) sees black getting two large corners plus two living center groups. Of course it’s a tie. Our tally currently stands at 10 black wins, 18 ties and 22 white wins.

3 Likes

Game 51 (7 komi, NZ rules) focuses mostly around complicated center fighting.

2 Likes

Antti Törmänen, JPN 1p has reviewed this game! KataGo’s ‘Perfect Selfplay’ (2)

OGS review with a few additional comments by Clydevil ~2d: KataGo 7 komi self-play - game 51

7 Likes

Game 52 (7 komi, NZ rules) was another tie:

Game 53 (7 komi, NZ rules) was our first game with a taisha variation (won by white):

Game 54 (7 komi, NZ rules) was another tie, bringing our current tally to 10 black wins, 21 ties and 23 white wins:

2 Likes