Keeping up with older pros

I just updated Mizokami Tomochika’s SL page to show that he made it to 9p in 2014.

He got there fairly quickly for a non-top player: 36 or 37 years old and 21 years after qualification. Almost half that time was taken just stepping up from the 8p he’d had since 2005.

Belated congratulations, Mizokami~!

1 Like

How old is an “older” pro?

Sugiuchi Kazuko is 0-7 this year and 0-7 last year :frowning:

1 Like

Well, the “young pros” thread cuts off at 25…

Possibly the young pros thread should be extended to U30 and the “older pros” thread could take it from there. That would let us keep Choi Jun with the young un’s after she hits 25 in October.

Luo Xihe picked up a win in a new tournament this summer. Looking at the players list (Kong Jie made an appearance!) makes me think it is for international champions over a certain age… or potentially just an invitational.

He plays against many new pros (as steadfast) on Fox and is a great watch if you want to see the contrast of a creative pre-AI style and hypermodern Go.

3 Likes

In the April Edition of the European Go Journal

Seo Bongsoo 9p recently won the Daejoo Cup, a Korean go tournament for senior professional players. Quite an impressive achievement at the age of 68!

There’s actually not too much about the Daejoo Cup at Sensei's Library or Wikipedia really.

There’s a bit more info in the News section

Seo Bongsoo 9p is a legendary professional player who dominated the Korean go scene in the 1980s and early 1990s, along with fellow legendary go player Cho Hunhyun 9p.

At age 68, Seo Bongsoo recently won the 8th Daejoo Cup, a competition for senior professionals in South Korea. His opponent in the final was Yoo Changhyuk 9p, another famous name in Korean go. Seo won by 21⁄2 points after 233 moves. His last title victory was 18 years ago, in 2003, when Seo won the 3rd Korean Senior Professional Tournament by defeating Kang Hun 9p in the final.

This maybe fits in here? :slight_smile:

1 Like

He beat Sumire in a specially organised game this (or was it last?) year.

I mean it’s a dead wiki.

Check the Korean wikipedia page or Namu wiki. They have the complete results.