Kibitz for Diplomatic Go: The First Game

Wow! HHG immediately takes a public shot (in the game thread) at le_4TC, suggesting that everyone gang up on him!

6 Likes

I’ve got to get back in the habit of not liking posts in the thread. ;D

3 Likes

Welcome @Aumpa!

I totally expected someone to make a bid for ganging up on the strongest ranked player. hahaha. And, it’s completely natural that the claimed 2nd-strongest player object-- because they’d be next!

If three players can agree to eliminate two other players, they’ve increased their odds of winning from 1 in 5 to 1 in 3. This is an improvement, especially because it was the two strongest go players that they eliminated. But then the 3rd strongest player is outnumbered by the weakest two remaining, and it’ll take some diplomacy to avoid the same fate.

It’s a variant of this situation:

Imagine you are on a lifeboat with nine other people, and determine that one of the ten of you must be killed and eaten to provide sustenance to the others. You are all ready to draw lots to decide who is dinner when you shout out “Hey, instead of this whole drawing lots thing, let’s kill and eat Bob!”

If your fellow castaways are rational agents, they might just agree. If they go with lots, each has a 10% chance of ending up dinner. If everyone just agrees on Bob, then everyone has a 0% chance of ending up dinner (except poor Bob). Nine out of ten people are better off, and nine out of ten of you vote to adopt the new plan. Whether your lifeboat decides things by majority vote or by physical violence, it doesn’t look good for Bob.

But imagine a week later, you still haven’t been rescued, and the whole situation repeats. If everyone lets you repeat your action of calling out a name, there’s a 1/9 chance it’ll be eir name - no better than drawing lots. In fact, since you’re very unlikely to call out your own name, it’s more of a 1/8 chance - worse than just drawing lots. So everyone would like to be the one who calls out the name, and as soon as the lots are taken out, everyone shouts “Hey, instead of the whole drawing lots thing, let’s kill and eat X!” where X is a different person for each of the nine castaways. This is utterly useless, and you probably end up just drawing lots.

7 Likes

I think when we same something we should say what move were on so when this thread is public, everyone will know which move were talking about for example:

Move 3: That guys move was good

2 Likes

Move 0:

I would probably play an unusual move so I don’t interfere with someone else.

1 Like

It’s a waste of space to put text like “move 0” or “round 1”, etc. in every single post.

How about we just make a post that says when each new round has started?

I’ve begun numbering the rounds starting from 1, by the way.

2 Likes

I think that’s a possible motivating factor for Vsotvep objection, however, he does have a strategically valid point. It makes sense to gang up on the person that obtains the strongest position on the board, rather that just ganging up on the player perceived to have the strongest Go skill. I think this game, like Diplomacy, should be self-balancing in a way. It makes sense to attack the leader, which then may change shifting the focus of future attack.

Further, the strongest Go player is not necessarily the strongest Diplomatic Go player. It’s helpful to be strong at Go, but it’s far from sufficient. I believe diplomatic skill is as important, if not more so, than Go skill in this game.

6 Likes

Welcome @KAOSkonfused!

I feel like Vsotvep is not going to do G6, or someone else is not going to do what vsotvep suggested.

1 Like

I’m almost 100% sure that Haze with a z didn’t pm yebellz c7

Or maybe he did and is trying to trick the other players.

@kingkaio and all spectators. Please do not post in the game thread. If you want to discuss the game, do so here.

1 Like

Game was extended

This is why I didn’t want to join, I’m afraid I don’t really go on ogs/forums during the weekends.

I was looking forward to the first move :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Sorry, I switched it to over here.

I wonder how much discussion is going on behind the scenes via private chat. Maybe not too much, since it could be hard to discuss much without any stones yet on the board to talk about.

None of the other four players have changed their moves during the extended day.

Three hours until the first round is over!

2 Likes

Round 2 has begun

Current position

Note that :yellow_circle: and :white_circle: collided at C4 and thus played their second choices.

4 Likes

Wow, HHG attached on to Haze with a z immediately

With so many players, You might kill one player but you are sacrificing your self by doing so.

If I were to attach I would go G7

Only 李twocharacters2 lied

1 Like

I think I’m expecting something like this next:

Haze with a z and HHG attack each other making a crosscut by doing so (that will be interesting, lots of collisions)

le_4tc trying to get more territory along with reducing HHG’s territory (but I’m not a 4d so I have no idea whats going on inside of his head)

李twocharacters2 taking more territory while attacking le_4tc

Vsotvep just trying to live peacfully

Edit:
Yup, Vsotvep is going to play G8 (if they are telling the truth) which means they are trying to live peacefully

2 Likes

I think HHG is going to try to mend fences with Haze. I don’t think HHG ever wanted to attach to Haze with their first move, but they did not consider their contingency move carefully enough. I think it puts White and Black at a disadvantage, and has strengthened Red by giving them more space.

I guess they may also be upset with Yellow. I don’t think it was wise to kick the hornet’s nest like that, if it was intentional to collide with White. However, maybe Yellow just wasn’t paying much attention to the discussion.

5 Likes

Oh man. That was really sloppy of yellow@李ć»ș柔2 to collide like that. Everybody else announced their moves to avoid collisions, so they only had to read the discussion to keep up. I really doubt they’ll have any good chance at forming an alliance with any other players.

Outside of what the players declare publicly, I think it’s pretty much impossible to speculate about what their next moves will be. There’s probably a lot of hidden negotiations going on as players try to form alliances, and I think their moves will be mainly based on consideration of their hidden agreements, from here.

The phase of “let’s all peacefully declare our moves openly” didn’t get off to a good start, and I think it’ll only be downhill from here as fighting breaks out and the first alliances become evident.

6 Likes