Kyu watching games - what level?

Having ascended to the dizzying heights* of 9k (actually 10k in fancy dress), I enjoy watching games as much as playing them. As Nick Sibicky said once, it’s a dialog. My question is whether I’d be generally better to watch the highest ranks possible or those say 5 ranks up. I see pro’s and cons either way so currently I just vary. Thoughts?

• +5 ranks above current
  • Uberdans
  • Whatever

0 voters

3 Likes

Watch what you enjoy watching. Go is a game after all and the more you enjoy it, the more “switched on” your brain will be.

Maybe watch the games of a stronger player that you know will be happy to answer questions you might have after the game.

10 Likes

Watching pro games with commentary is probably better than watching kyu games without commentary.

But in the end, I think watching games that you enjoy watching is the most important.

7 Likes

Even watching beginners game will make you feel stronger… Ubergames are cleaner but you may better understand what’s in the mind of players with lower ranks.
It’s nice when you can guess moves, and when you can appreciate the differences if you get it wrong.

3 Likes

…violently frustrated :smirk:
(used to run a Go club comprised entirely of ~20th kyus)

6 Likes

I used to watch high dan games on KGS all the time and I’m pretty sure it helped my fighting game.
I recommend rapyuta’s numerous blitz matches for that matter. (Nota bene: Only peruse his games until 2009 or something, whoever used that acc afterwards was someone else.) How to efficiently semi-settle groups in a way that you don’t have to worry about them so you can tenuki quickly.

3 Likes

^^ This is something I reckon as a noticable difference between a 10k and 5k, on my list fo’ sho’.

Cheers all - yah, I often forget the its-meant-to-be-enjoyed part :smiley:

2 Likes

I like watching pro and dan games just to feel the flow on how they handle different things, but i enjoy watching my friends play regardless of their ranks ^^

4 Likes

It’s also fun to watch games with other people in the chat of various levels, regardless of the level of the game.

5 Likes

Watch games with other people live: kibitzing. It’s more exciting that way and you can discuss with the others.

P.S. rapyuta, good times!

4 Likes

Like in real life, it’s better to watch other people’s shenanigans when you have someone to discuss with.

4 Likes