Language Learners' Library

I’ll post my version here. It took me well over an hour to look up what I needed to know. Sometimes I maybe didn’t quite understand the english nuances (or the latin ones). Bugcat’s postmodo iter resumpsi and clivum in oram descendi are both very good. Maybe there are errors in these two, but at first glance, they look very good.
The choice of imperfect and perfect depends on the habituality of the verbal action. The last sentence was kinda hard, as there are in english two main- and one subordinate clause. Greek, for example, has ways to make just one clause with a participle “arriving” and an adjective “a evening-y one”. I usually work more with greek grammar, so I never know exactly what is considered “good style” for latin.

I left town in the morning

Ante lucem ex oppido discessi.
before light-acc-sg-fem out town-abl.sg.ntr depart-1.sg.-Ind-act-perfect

First, I walked down the road, going north

Primum viam ad aquilonem pertinentem inibam.
at-first road-acc.sg.f. to North-acc.sg.m belong-ParticiplePresentActive.acc…sg.f. walk.down-1.sg.Ind.act.imperfect.

A river blocked my path

Flumine iter meum impedibatur
River-abl.-sg-n. path-nom.-sg.-n POSSESSIVE-1.person-sg.-nom.-sg.-n hinder-3.-sg.-Ind.-pass.-imperfect

I paid a toll to cross the bridge

portorium dedi pro pontem transgrediendum
toll-acc.-sg.-n give-1.-sg.-Ind.-act.-perfect for bridge-acc.-sg.-m cross-Gerundivum-acc.-sg.-m (I’m not really sure about my choice of word here)

On the other side, a path led through some fields

trans flumen per campos aliquos ibatur
beyond river-acc.-sg.-n through field-acc.-pl.-m some-acc.-pl.-m go-3.-sg.-Ind.-pass.-imperfect

At noon, I rested under a tree

meridiano sub arbore quievi
midday-abl.-sg.-n under tree-abl.-sg.-f rest.-1.-sg.-Ind.-act.-perfect

A short while later, I resumed my journey

paulo post iterum in viam me dedi
little-abl.sg.n after again in road-acc.-sg.-f REFLEXIVE-1.sg.-acc give-1.-sg.-Ind.-act.-Perfect

I descended a slope, going towards the coast

colle declivi degressi, ora maritima petens
Hill-abl.-sg.-f downward-slanting.-abl.-sg.-f. descend-1.-sg.-Ind.-act.-perfect coast-acc.-pl.-n marine-acc.-pl.-n seek-Participle.Present.active-nom.-sg.-m

My destination was a small harbor town

Oppidulum cum portu petebam.
Little.town-acc.sg.n with harbor-abl.sg.m have.as.destination-1.person.sg.Ind.act.imperfect

It was evening when I arrived, so I spent the night at an inn

advesperascebat cum oppidulum ingrederem, itaque in deversorio pernoctavi.
become.evening-3.sg.Ind.act.imperfect when come.in-1.sg.Subj.act.imperfect little.town-acc.sg.n, so in inn-abl.sg.n. spend.the.night-1.sg.ind.act.perfect.

2 Likes