Language Learners' Library

@Vsotvep thanks for not responding, I get too easily derailed if people discuss stuff with me. That’s why 25 posts of this thread come from the Things you like to do thread. Let’s stay on topic.

1 Like

Hey, that is my fault too. When I talk normally, I will start talking about one thing and start talking about something else.

It is unrelated to languages, but an example is earlier I was talking about the rain with someone, and then we got into the subject of car crashes and we were having a debate about whether or not a car can slip.(I say a car slips and then slides, but they said that it just slides)

1 Like

Ah, it’s not that I’m not responding, I’m doing the grammar challenge now :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@Haze_with_a_Z You want to do some Japanese? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure let’s try some. Sorry if I’m no good. I can only say a few random words.

1 Like

How about learning the pronouns:

I
you
he
she

And the verbs

to go
to come
to have
to eat
to drink

And some nouns

Tokyo
Osaka
apple
water

And then combine them to make sentences

I go to Tokyo
You eat an apple
He drinks water
She has an apple
He comes from Tokyo
I go from Tokyo to Osaka

If you want help with translating, feel free to ask. I don’t know if you can read hiragana / katakana

1 Like

Is “he comes from Tokyo” in Japanese actually correct in the English sense of “he came here (some time ago) from Tokyo”?

I could say some of those. Some of them I get mixed up with such as the words for drink and read, and a few other things that I forget right now. I had never heard of katakana before last night when you showed me that website.

1 Like

I’m not sure, I’ll ask. I think it might mean “he is coming” or “he will come” instead of “he came”.

It’s difficult to make basic sentences…

1 Like

Show us how far you get :slight_smile: Feel free to use a dictionary, and I’ll help with the rest

2 Likes

I was doing something else for a while, but now I am doing them. I just feel bad looking up how to say half of these words. you said feel free to use a dictionary, but it feels like cheating in a way. Though my alternative is dig through duolingo trying to find one in a lesson here or there. Are you sure it isn’t cheating to do this?

It’s perfectly fine to use the dictionary! You’ll gradually learn that vocabulary anyway.

1 Like

I just feel I look up too much. For the basically two that I do know, there are still 10 I don’t know.

here are my answers

I - わたし
You - あなた
He - かれ
She - 彼女

To go - トーゴ
To come - 来て
To have - 持つため
To eat - たべる
To drink -のむ

Tokyo - とうきょう
Osaka - 大阪
Apple -りんご
Water - 水

Hopefully, these are correct. I knew I and drink before this. I looked up water at some point but I didn’t remember what it was until I looked it up.

1 Like

How else are you going to learn the words? Some things you can only learn by doing (like learning how to calculate things in your head), but learning new vocabulary is not something you can do by thinking it up yourself. Immersion is more important: the more often you see a word, the more it will sink into your brain, until you know it forever.

Are you sure you can read all of these characters?

This one made me giggle a little, トーゴ is the Japanese word for Togo. I bet you got it from Google Translate. So there’s the first thing you have to know about Japanese: Google translate is pretty much worthless you only want to translate words. It does a half decent job at full sentences, but still I’d avoid using it, since it’s often more confusing than not.

1 Like

I searched through duolingo, but some of the words it got from google translate. That is how I ended up with words that I can read part of, such as to come I can only read the “te” part at the end. I can’t read the she one at all, and I think I can read the last three from to have - “tsutaa”? that sounds like it could be wrong.

Honestly, use jisho.org. It’s the best online Japanese dictionary.

2 Likes

Like bugcat, I use Jisho.org to find words (mind you, it gives different results if you capitalise the first letter, something which it annoyingly automatically does on my phone). It’s probably the best Japanese dictionary that can be found online. Using this, I find the following words:

I - 私 - わたし - watashi
You - 貴方 - あなた - anata
He - 彼 - かれ - kare
She - 彼女 - かのじょ - kanojo

To go - 行く - いく - iku
To come - 来る - くる - kuru
To have - 有る - ある - aru
To eat - 食べる - たべる - taberu
To drink - 飲む - のむ - nomu

Tokyo - 東京 - とうきょう - toukyou
Osaka - 大阪 - おおさか - oosaka
Apple - 林檎 - りんご - ringo
Water - 水 - みず - mizu

So, any idea how to start with the sentences or is it too overwhelming?

I go to Tokyo
You eat an apple
He drinks water
She has an apple
He comes from Tokyo
I go from Tokyo to Osaka

(by the way, @bugcat, you were indeed correct about the meaning of “he comes from Tokyo”: as something that happened in the past it is not one of the possible meanings if the sentence is translated literally)

1 Like

For Latin, I first find my choice of translation on https://latin-dictionary.net. Then I take that Latin word and I look it up on https://en.wiktionary.org to check its meaning and inflections. I do own a printed Latin dictionary but this is quicker and easier.

How did I end up with some super complicated characters then? Also do the characters I used come from these characters?