Language Learners' Library

Thanks! I’ve got just over 80 cards.

My latest one:

Est mīlitēs in stabulō.

The soldiers are in the tavern. (Or brothel. Often the same place.)

Guys, I don’t know you, but for me is impossible to read and learn a kanji in a such small font. It happens often to me since the books or computer fonts are really often written is fonts so small that you cannot really decipher how the stroke are made. So, even to search the kanji in a dictionary, I have to copy it, paste the same elsewhere, increase the font size, count the strokes or look at the radical and finally find the character in the dictionary. It is a kind of job…

It is true that on Jisho you can copy-paste it and search for its definition. There. you can see the character in a very large size… but I have this issue very often especially with printed Japanese when I have to use a lens. :rage:

Just for curiosity, is there any way to increase the font here only for a single character? (I mean in the original text and not using CTRL + to zoom-in the entire page).

2 Likes

I’m wondering what case to use for goods that are bought and sold.

eg. in Mīlitēs vīnum comparant (the soldiers buy wine) vīnum is in the accusative… but perhaps it should be in the dative or ablative…

When I used to learn Japanese, I would have a notepad window open with the font size way up. Then I’d copy-paste into it.

slightly increasing and gives translation just by mouse hover

Not being able to see structure in not a problem, you will recognize anyway if you really remember. Problem is when 2 similar looking symbols exist.
some of them in unknown font even with zoom may be hard to distinguish

Impossible:

kanji:

katakana:

2 Likes

It is a new day!

The Word of the Day is… whatever you want. Apparently my choice was boring last time.

The Simple Sentence of the Day is The cat sat on the mat.

Language Sentence
Latin Fēlēs in tapētī seduit.* **
German Die Katze saß auf dem Teppich.

(*) FELESINTAPETISEDVIT
fēlēs cat (nom. sing.), in tapētī on the rug, seduit sat (3rd pers. sing. past perf.)

(**) I had tapētī in the wrong case, as tapēte. Luckily no-one noticed :stuck_out_tongue:

The Complex Sentence of the Day is The farmer’s daughters bought carrots at the market.

Language Sentence
Latin Fīliae agricolae carōtās in emporiō comparāvērunt.*
German Die Tochter des Bauern kaufte Karotten auf dem Markt.**

(*) FILIAEAGRICOLAECAROTASINEMPORIOCOMPARAVERVNT
fīliae daughters (nom. pl.), agricolae farmer (gen. sing.), carōtās carrots (acc. pl.), in emporiō in the market, comparāvērunt bought (3rd pers. pl. past perf.)

(**) maybe it could also be “Bauerntochter”, or “Bauers Tochter”

Also please feel free to add a More Complex Sentence of the Day underneath here if you want.

3 Likes

Note: I wasn’t sure whether the carrots (being bought) or the market (in which they’re being bought) should come first. I figured it would probably be fine; after all, in English all the following are valid, admittedly at increasing levels of weirdness:

I bought some carrots in the market.
In the market I bought some carrots.
I bought, in the market, some carrots.
I, in the market, bought some carrots.

1 Like

Accusative! Someone buys accusative.

1 Like

Coincidentally, my Japanese teacher taught us just last week that there is no distinction in Japanese between rat and mouse, nor between alligator and crocodile or clock and watch. It seems she’s faced some disbelief /negative reaction about this from past students!
One thing I find very interesting about languages is the things that are distinguished in one but not another. It’s these cultural insights that intrigue me about languages.

Sorry that I can’t keep up with this thread daily!

4 Likes

This is awesome. It is a game changer!
Thanks a lot for the tip.

1 Like

Latin mūs could also mean both mouse or rat.

Well, today I’m mainly going to add more sentences into my Anki deck. I’m also going to start solving the cards I’ve already got.

If about four other people say they’re interested I’ll also set up the Language Learners’ Lounge.

1 Like

Language Challenge: The Banquet

Prepare a feast menu!

Epula Romāna

Pulmentum
Vīnum Pompei ōrum
Panis et olīvae
Locustae in melle

Starter Course
Pompeiian wine
Bread and olives
Locusts in honey

Coena Piscium
Vīnum Cos ōrum
Polypī frixus cum sāl
Scomber cum citrī
Ostreae in allēce cum ālia

Fish Course
Choan wine
Fried octopus with salt
Mackerel with citron
Oysters in fish sauce with garlic

Coena Agrōrum
Vīnum Hispāni ae
Glirēs frixus et asparagī
Jus carōtārum cum sinapis
Sturnī in tortō

Field Course
Spanish wine
Roast dormice with asparagus
Carrot soup with mustard
Starlings in a pie

Coena Carnis
Vīnum Graecum
Bubula frixus et carōtae
Cygnus frixus et fabae
Hirundinēs in anatibus in aprō cum pōmī

Meat Course
Greek wine
Roast beef and carrots
Roast swan and beans
Starlings in ducks in a boar, with apples

Coena Dulcis
Vīnum Ceretanum
Pira calda in vīnum cum gingiber
Cerasa et ūvae in catīllī

Sweet Course
Ceretanese wine
Hot pears in wine with ginger
Bowls of cherries and grapes

2 Likes

Non scio certissime, sed “granum” mihi bene videtur. Grana sunt multa singula grana, granum est multitudo totium granorum.

Editio: Debes et scribere aut ‘milites sunt in taberna’ aut ‘miles est in taberna’. In tua Epula scribis ‘vinum hispania’ et similiter; hoc mihi videtur (seems) falsum. Hic (here) oportet (one ought) dicere aut ‘vinum hispaniae’ cum genitivo, aut ‘vinum ex hispania’ cum praepositione.

Editio secunda: bonum ist et adiectivum ‘vinum hispanicum’.

Editio tertia: perutile (highly useful) et (also) hic nexus interretialis (weblink): https://www.hs-augsburg.de/~harsch/Chronologia/Lspost04/Apicius/api_re00.html

2 Likes

Thank you for that help! :3

I’m not quite sure what you’re saying about the grain since I can’t find totium in the dictionary, but I can see that you advised granum.

I haven’t yet relearnt the difference between est and sunt. That’ll be top priority. If you’re saying that sentences of A is in B should be A est in B rather than est A in B then I’ve got to edit more of my Anki sentences :slight_smile:

Hispania I messed up, I meant to put it in the dative. Thanks for specifying that ex is necessary there, presumably with the dative. Thanks for showing me the other phrasings as well.

(Apologies for not replying in Latin, but I’m not at that level yet hehe)

I’m going to correct my banquet mistakes in bold .

What’s in my inventory?

I gladius, ???, rutrum, sarculum, lampas, ampulla, ama, lāna
II humus, saxum, lignum, folia, carbō, ferrum, aes, aurum
III adamās, crēta, later, pulvis, hyalus, silex, sēmina, fungus
IV pōmum, panis, cōdex, fūcus, clāvis, calix, filum, flōs

4 Likes

剣 , 斧 , シャベル , what is it?
https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/minecraft_gamepedia/4/4d/Iron_Hoe.png
https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/minecraft_gamepedia/a/a2/Iron_Pickaxe.png
not standard texture?

ERROR

Whether you say ‘A est in B’ (it’s an A that’s it’s in B) or ‘Est A in B’ (there’s an A in B) or ‘A in B est’ (A is in B) doesn’t really matter. The verb has a tendency to take the final position, but ‘weak’ words have the tendency to be second place. The first and last position of a sentence contain what’s important to the speaker.

Est/sunt is of course singular/plural. Ex takes always the ablative! The dative is a rather rare case, actually, and right now I’m not sure if there are any prepositions with dative. Ablative is very common, it’s the case of the adverbial modification. It’s three basic meanings are Sociative, Instrumental, and Origin.

Prepositions of direction take accusative, prepositions of jocation and origin take ablative. In horto - in the garden. in hortum - into the garden, ex horto - from the garden.

An axe is ‘securis’.

3 Likes

Nyaha! It’s a new day, so I’ve decided that means:

• Word of the day
  • A simple sentence
  • A complex sentence
  • A vocabulary workout
  • Free writing
1 Like

The Word of the Day is city

Language Word
Latin urbs
Japanese 市 (shi), 町 (machi)
Chinese 城市 chéngshì
Esperanto urbo
German Stadt
French ville

The Simple Sentence is We are sailing to the city.

Language Sentence
Latin Nōs in urbem nāvigant. Correction on multiple points: In oppidum nāvigāmus.
Japanese 私たちは港市に向かっています。(watashitachi wa kooshi ni mukattaimasu.) [see more]
German Wir segeln zu der Stadt.
French Nous naviguons à la ville.

The Complex Sentence is In the city, many dangers await the unwary; and the honest man must always be alert.

The Vocabulary Workout is to translate these five nouns about cities: house, shop, tavern, street, bridge; these five verbs: buy, sell, drink (alcohol), gamble, beg; and these five adjectives: noisy, foul-smelling, crowded, wealthy, drunk

Language Sentence
Latin domus, pergula, taberna, via, pons; comparō, vendō, pōtō, braviō, mendicō; clāmōsa, pūtida, celebris, opulenta, ēbria

Free writing: Write a paragraph about the attractions of the Capital.

2 Likes