Language Learners' Library

Here the fifth case, the ablative, is correct.
I think, it should be “domū” then.
The accusative indicates direction, i. e. “in domum” means "(in)to the house.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard マウス be used for normal mice, it’s usually 鼠 (ねずみ)

1 Like

Oof. I’m gonna have to edit a lot of sentences in that Anki deck. Thanks. Apparently domō is also correct.

Maybe we should make a Language Learners’ Lounge thread in which all we do is actually speak to each other in the target languages. Every day I could suggest a topic, like “the Amazon” or “boats”.

2 Likes

@Vsotvep Do you know how to find out how many cards you have in an Anki deck? I probably knew once but I’ve forgotten now.

鼠 is not jōyō it usually written not in kanji form, may mean rat

In statistical list
ネズミ 4 743th place
ねずみ 7 887th place
マウス 8 949th place
野鼠 field mouse 54 305th place

2 Likes

A long time ago, I read that the ideograph 学 originally depicted hands on top, showing the child (bottom) in a cradle (now the “roof”) things (top again).

Wiktionary suggests that 学 is simplified from 學 and provides an etymology at https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/學#Chinese. They also state that the word for child may have been involved in its construction.

Side note: I’m surprised that none of the archaic Chinese scripts seem to be in Unicode. They’ve added far more obscure stuff!

1 Like

Here is what happens when Google translate is used in series to translate that sentence through multiple languages

Language Sentence
English A mouse is in the house
Japanese 家の中にネズミがいる Uchinonaka ni nezumi ga iru
Spanish Hay una rata en la casa
Latin Est in domo rat a
Chinese 它是在大鼠 Tā shì zài dà shǔ
Eperanto Ĝi estas en rato
English It’s in a rat

Translated from English to Japanese to Spanish to … to English.

6 Likes

ie. one reason Google Translate sucks, because computers can’t understand “it” in many sentences without understanding what the nouns actually are.

3 Likes
3 Likes

If anyone knows, I’m trying to work out whether “grain” as a mass noun (like “the barn was full of grain”) should take the singular or the plural. ie. grānum, the nominative singular; or grāna, the plural singular. Help appreciated c:

My mistake, I love learning kanji that aren’t Jouyou, since it’s one of the best party tricks you can offer in Japan. Some of the best in this genre are ちょっと (一寸) and とても (迚も) in kanji.

I learnt 鼠 as part of learning the colors: ねずみ色 is grey.

マウス could be rather high on the list, since it’s used for computer mouses (mice?).

1 Like

Have you tried checking “Stats”

I love this idea!

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve got just over 80 cards.

My latest one:

Est mīlitēs in stabulō.

The soldiers are in the tavern. (Or brothel. Often the same place.)

Guys, I don’t know you, but for me is impossible to read and learn a kanji in a such small font. It happens often to me since the books or computer fonts are really often written is fonts so small that you cannot really decipher how the stroke are made. So, even to search the kanji in a dictionary, I have to copy it, paste the same elsewhere, increase the font size, count the strokes or look at the radical and finally find the character in the dictionary. It is a kind of job…

It is true that on Jisho you can copy-paste it and search for its definition. There. you can see the character in a very large size… but I have this issue very often especially with printed Japanese when I have to use a lens. :rage:

Just for curiosity, is there any way to increase the font here only for a single character? (I mean in the original text and not using CTRL + to zoom-in the entire page).

2 Likes

I’m wondering what case to use for goods that are bought and sold.

eg. in Mīlitēs vīnum comparant (the soldiers buy wine) vīnum is in the accusative… but perhaps it should be in the dative or ablative…

When I used to learn Japanese, I would have a notepad window open with the font size way up. Then I’d copy-paste into it.

slightly increasing and gives translation just by mouse hover

Not being able to see structure in not a problem, you will recognize anyway if you really remember. Problem is when 2 similar looking symbols exist.
some of them in unknown font even with zoom may be hard to distinguish

Impossible:

kanji:

katakana:

2 Likes

It is a new day!

The Word of the Day is… whatever you want. Apparently my choice was boring last time.

The Simple Sentence of the Day is The cat sat on the mat.

Language Sentence
Latin Fēlēs in tapētī seduit.* **
German Die Katze saß auf dem Teppich.

(*) FELESINTAPETISEDVIT
fēlēs cat (nom. sing.), in tapētī on the rug, seduit sat (3rd pers. sing. past perf.)

(**) I had tapētī in the wrong case, as tapēte. Luckily no-one noticed :stuck_out_tongue:

The Complex Sentence of the Day is The farmer’s daughters bought carrots at the market.

Language Sentence
Latin Fīliae agricolae carōtās in emporiō comparāvērunt.*
German Die Tochter des Bauern kaufte Karotten auf dem Markt.**

(*) FILIAEAGRICOLAECAROTASINEMPORIOCOMPARAVERVNT
fīliae daughters (nom. pl.), agricolae farmer (gen. sing.), carōtās carrots (acc. pl.), in emporiō in the market, comparāvērunt bought (3rd pers. pl. past perf.)

(**) maybe it could also be “Bauerntochter”, or “Bauers Tochter”

Also please feel free to add a More Complex Sentence of the Day underneath here if you want.

3 Likes