Language Learners' Library

Alright! With Nos in urbem navigant, you got the verb wrong. I’ll let you figure out why. Also, you only use personal pronouns to put emphasis on it. WE went to town, while the others stayed on the country. Btw, there’s urbs, and there’s oppidum. Urbs is a major city, or just Rome. Oppidum is any fortified settlement. Archaeologists speak of oppida when they find Celtic settlements in Europe. Beginner’s books usually teach oppidum first because it’s o-Declension, but urbs is of course what Romans would use when talking about the only city worth talking about.

Translate into English:

Marcus in foro stat. Corneliam adspectat. Sed ea cessat. Ecce, Titum videt. Clamat: ‘Heu, Tite! Ubi est Cornelia?’ Titus respondet: ‘Cornelia domi est, aegrotat. Me tibi misit, ut referam eam aegrotare.’ ‘Gratiam ago, Tite,’ dicit Marcus, ‘Age, eamus in Colosseum. Cum Cornelia irem in thermas, sed tecum eo libenter ad circenses.’

I won’t do the strokes on the vowels, as they won’t be there when you read a real text. In this paragraph here, you will also find two subjunctive form of “to go” (present and imperfect) and one of “to report”. There’s one perfect form of “to send”, and a locative form.

Edit: Actually, nos in urbem navigant is a valid sentence, but it means something different.

2 Likes