Language Learners' Library

Such as? Usually it’s the other way around, and I’m glad the archaic ones aren’t used since they take twice the number of strokes

2 Likes

Hmm, I haven’t found an example yet.

But I’ve developed an urge to use 芒

How about how 竾 has less strokes than 笛?

1 Like

Today I learnt how to write mango in kanji: 芒果.

It’s a bit of a sad kanji, its components mean “grass” and “deceased”… Dead grass.

1 Like

芒 is outside of Joyo though, right? They must be an alternative spelling of mango as well?

Like I said, there’s many non-joyo kanji that are sometimes used. However, my girlfriend couldn’t read 芒果 except for an alternative pronunciation, so it’s probably not well known. She couldn’t read 竾 either.

1 Like

I found the perfect example of xeno-minimalism.

Why use 箱…

When I could write 函!

The second one is actually in a box, therefore it’s better :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

1 Like

She could read 函 though, as well as 筥 and 凾.

1 Like

I find the very blurry distinction between current, dated, archaic, and obsolete words to be enchanting in any language.

Take English. inflexion is dated. omnibus is archaic. provant is obsolete.

Japanese native elementary school is above what most foreigner JAPANESE LANGUAGE LEARNERS will reach

I still find unknown words in English sometimes. Its not a problem, I can always see translation in 1 click with special soft.

1 Like

I have tried clicking on my paper books, but it doesn’t really help me much

Also, I doubt most foreigners can read a book in Japanese. Which was kind of my point.

Re: 芒果

芒果 is a loanword mángguǒ

芒 is phonological in Chinese. 艹 something relating to grass and sounding like 亡

1 Like

heya Ruby o/

begins muttering “ruby ruby ruby, ooo-ooh-ooo-ooh-ooo-ooh”

@stone.defender “Most foreigners” in the world only know anime and sushi though :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

The name ‘participle’ means ‘something that takes part’. That’s not really helpful. What it does is this: It behaves like a verb, as it can express tense and voice and can govern objects and a subject. But it also behaves like a noun in a broader sense (including adjectives), as it expresses gender, case and number. As every verb implies a clause or something like a clause, you can effectively express two states of affairs in one main clause.

The supine is rather obscure and not used very much. The most common expressions with it are probably mirabile visu ‘amazing to look at’ and difficile dictu ‘difficult to say’.

1 Like

For better or worse, I think of three things each time I read supine, and Latin is third.

1. Foxes, because I once got confused with “vulpine” and it stuck.

2. Since supine means “lying on its back” I remember the “reclining Mogg” meme.

1 Like

Tha’‘s a meme we ha’en’ go’ ove 'ere ou’si’e Bri’ain.

1 Like

Hey @Sanonius, whilst I’m thinking up a new challenge, reading through old stuff, and organising; do you want to roll for today’s script?

@discobot roll 1d750

Did you know that the maximum number of sides for a mathematically fair die is 120?

:game_die: 29

Today’s script is the original and best: cuneiform!

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.