Language Learners' Library

Vocabulary Challenge: Run through 1 – 50. Feel free to distinguish between numerals, cardinals, ordinals etc.

Grammar Challenge for @Sanonius: Translate this stele out of Ancient Greek.

Grammar Challenge for Everyone Else: Here is the English translation; put it into another language.

Translation

This is the sign of Arniadas who was destroyed by fiery-eyed Ares fighting close to the ships on river Arachthos’s flows, greatly excelling in the uproar of the battle that brings lament.

Extra challenge: Explain the names and titles of at least ten historical rulers.

Extra extra challenge, just for the Japanese learners: Explain the names of at least ten eras.

Challenge not for the Japanese learners :wink: Create new Go terms

2 Likes

Stop it, you, you’re spoiling me!

3 Likes

Okay, the text is in an archaic alphabet. Based on the B-shaped letter E and the M-shaped S, I’d say it’s from around Corinth. So far I’ve got:

σανατο δε αρνιαδαξ αροπον τον δολεσε?αρεσβαρναμενον παρα ναυσιν επα?θθοι ορ hοεαισι πολλον αριστευτον τα καταστον οϚεσανα
Something about Arniadax who did something at the ships. I can’t read most of the letters clearly and I can’t make any sense out of most of the words. Have you got a transcript? I could translate that, I guess.

Edit: There’s an S-shaped B, so it’s from Corinth. I also want to believe it’s written as verses, but I’m really not sure.

1 Like

I’m no good with go terms (have yet to start trying to read my Japanese go books), but I bet you’ll like this website, featuring a dictionary of Japanese go terms.

Σᾶμα τόδε Ἀρνιάδα· χαροπὸς τόνδ᾿ ὤλεσεν Ἄρες / βαρνάμενον παρὰ ναυσὶν ἐπ᾿ Ἀράθθοιο ρhοϝαῖσι, / πολλὸν ἀριστεύ{τ}οντα κατὰ στονόϝεσ(σ)αν ἀϝυτάν.

Wikipedia says the stele was found in Corfu, has been dated to the early 6th century BCE, and is in Homeric hexameter.

Ah, I’m so tempted to start learning kanji again… because they’re distinct pictures rather than strings of letters, there’s a sort of fun “collectability” about ingesting them. I’ve got to keep myself focused .__.

1 Like

I’ll have you know that learning kanji can be highly addictive…

3 Likes

Don’t I know it! I’ve been there…

1 Like

Not Homeric, just hexameter. The dialect is doric, as one can see by Σᾶμα for σῆμα and the use of the letter F for /w/, that was out of use in the Attic-Ionic dialects. It says:
“This is the tombstone of Arniades; pretty-face Ares destroyed him while he was fighting (I guess?) at the something something ships by Aratthos, him, who was by far the best at the … moaning?” Something like that, I’ll check the translation you provided…

Edit: Aah, so ἀfύταν must mean battle.

1 Like

Damn, where do you people come from? People who like learning kanji, people who like doing tsumego.

2 Likes

Pretty-faced Ares destroyed him, he who was by far the best at moaning

Are you a yaoi writer? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Greek, yaoi, same same.

2 Likes

take your free catamite on the way in

What’s a catamite, Walter?

Hmm, I don’t know that reference.

In The Big Lebowski, Donny asks what a pederast is. I honestly had to look up catamite, right now. It’s not a story the philologists would tell me.

But I’m kinda disappointed about myself, I could have done better with that inscription. I should have expected the first words to either mean ‘here lies’, ‘this is the grave of’ or ‘the council has decided’. Can you hit me with another?

1 Like

@Sanonius

Macedonia, 119CE

Work In Progress

Challenge 1

In Latin, numbers are adjectives and, like all adjectives, agree with noun that they describe. In this table I’ve put them in their masculine, dictionary form.

International Numeral Cardinal Ordinal
1 I unus primus
2 II duo secundus
3 III tres tertius
4 IV (IIII) quattuor quartus
5 V quinque quintus
6 VI sex sextus
7 VII septem septimus
8 VIII octo octavus
9 IX novem nonus
10 X decem decimus
11 XI undecim undecimus
12 XII duodecim duodecimus
13 XIII tredecim tertiusdecimus
14 XIV quattuordecim quartus decimus
15 XV quindecim quintus decimus
16 XVI sedecim sextus decimus
17 XVII septendecim septus decimus
18 XVIII duodeviginti duodevicesimus
19 XIX undeviginti undevicesimus
20 XX viginti vicesimus
21 XXI viginti unus
22 XXII viginiti duo
23 XXIII viiginti tres
24 XXIV viginiti quattuor
25 XXV viginiti quinque
26 XXVI viginiti sex
27 XXVII viginti septem
28 XXVIII duodetriginita / viginti octo
29 XXIX undetriginita / viginti novem
30 XXX triginita
31 XXXI triginta uno
32 XXXII triginta duo
33 XXXIII triginta tress
34 XXXIV triginita quattuor
35 XXXV triginta quinque
36 XXXVI triginta sex
37 XXXVII triginta septem
38 XXXVIII duodequadraginta / triginta octo
39 XXXIX undequadraginta / triginta novem
40 XL quadraginta
41 XLI quadraginta unus
42 XLII quadraginta duo
43 XLIII quadraginta tres
44 XLIV quadraginta quattuor
45 XLV quadraginta quinque
46 XLVI quadraginta sex
47 XLVII quadraginta septem
48 XLVIII duodequinqaginta / quadraginta octo
49 XLIX undequinqaginta / quadraginta duo
50 L quinqaginta
International Adverbial Multiplier Distributive Fractional
1 semel simplex singuli
2 bis duplex bini dimidius / semis
3 ter triplex terni triens
4 quater quadruplex quaterni quadrans / teruncius
5 quinquies quinquiplex quini quintans
6 sexies sexuplex seni sextans
7 septimes septimplex septeni septans
8 octies octuplex octoni octans
9 novies novemplex noveni nonus
10 deciens decemplex deni decimus
11 undecies undecimplex undeni undecimus
12 duodecies duodecimplex duodeni uncia
13 terdecies terdecuplex terdeni tertiusdecimus
Challenge 2
Reign (AUC) Anglicism Title Meaning Praenomen Meaning Nomen Meaning Cognomen Meaning Agnomen Meaning
218-244 Tarquin the Proud Rex(?) King Lucius from lux (light) Tarquinius from Estruscan Tarchuna Superbus proud, splendid
672 Sulla Dictator* Dictator Lucius " " Cornelius Perhaps fr. cornu (horn) Sulla unknown Felix fortunate
708-709 Julius Caesar Dictator Perpetuo Dictator for Life Gaius fr. Gavius fr. PIE “rejoicing” Iulius Maybe fr. *Iovilios (descended fr. Jove) Caesar debated, see Wiktionary

(*) Dictator legibus faciendis et reipublicae constituendae causa (“dictator for the making of laws and for the settling of the constitution”)

Imperial names

726-767: Augustus / Imperator Caesar Divi Filius Augustus (Emperor Caesar, Majestic Son of God)

794-807: Claudius / Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus

Tiberius = of the river Tiber
Claudius is perhaps from a Sabine word
Germanicus = of Germany

832-834: Titus / Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus

I don’t have an etymology for Titus
Flavius is perhaps from flavus (golden)
Vespasianus is from Vespasianae, a town

849-851: Nerva / Marcus Cocceius Nerva Caesar Augustus

Marcus = of Mars
I don’t have an etymology of Cocceius
Nerva is from nervus (vigour)

891-914: Antoninus Pius / Titus Aelius Hadrianus Antoninus Augustus Pius

I don’t have an etymology of Aelius.
Hadrianus is from Hadria, a city
I don’t have an etymology of Antoninus
Pius = loyal

[I expected more to write about from that name.]

946-964: Septimius Severus / Imperator Caesar Lucius Septimius Severus Eusebes Pertinax Augustus

Septimius = the seventh
Severus = severe
Eusebes = a type of gem
Pertinax = tenacious

991: Balbinus / Imperator Caesar Decimus Caelius Calvinus Balbinus Pius Augustus

Decimus = the tenth
I don’t have an etymology of Caelius
I don’t have an etymology of Calvinus
I don’t have an etymology of Balbinus

eh, screw it

I was just thinking, you can classify languages by speakership as:

• Super-major: 1,000,000,000+ speakers (this is just English and Mandarin). English is a global lingua franca whereas Mandarin is just the national language of a very populous country, so there is an interesting contrast here.

• Major: 100,000,000+ speakers (Hindi, Spanish, French, Standard Arabic, Bengali, Russian, Portuguese, Indonesian, Urdu, German, Japanese). These are either languages of populous countries (like Indonesian) or post-colonial lingua franca (like Spanish.)

• Sub-Major: 10,000,000+ speakers. This is your average national language with official and popular status within one or two countries, like Italian. Also your typical big Indian language (eg. Marathi or Tamil.)

• Minor: 1,000,000+ speakers. These languages are usually not national lingua franca and can be quite obscure. The only examples I can find are Catalan and, maybe, Walloon.

• Sub-Minor: 100,000+ speakers. Interestingly, it’s easier to find examples for this category. Members include Welsh, Irish, and Greenlandic.

• Miniature: 10,000+ speakers. At this point, there are doubts that the language can survive into the next century, but often still hold official status and privileges. Scottish Gaelic is a good example.

• Sub-Miniature: 1,000+ speakers. A Swiss village dialect, perhaps?

• Obscure: 100+ speakers: A normal tribal language, eg. in Australia.

• Moribund: 10+ speakers: Spoken usually by a small group of elders.

• Hyper-Moribund: 1+ speaker. Almost extinct.

• Extinct.

In general, popular languages are either: Indo-European (most European and Indian languages, and Iranian), Sino-Tibetan (Chinese languages), or Krai-Dai (South-East Asian).

Very notable outliers are Arabic (Semitic), Korean (Koreanic), Japanese (Japonic), and Tamil (Dravidian).

The many indigenous languages of the Americas, Africa, and Australia are in contrast often very obscure.

3 Likes

"When we realize that an educated Japanese can hardly frame a single literary sentence without the use of Chinese resources, that to this day Siamese and Burmese and Cambodgian bear the unmistakable imprint of the Sanskrit and Pali that came in with Hindu Buddhism centuries ago, or that whether we argue for or against the teaching of Latin and Greek, our argument is sure to be studded with words that have come to us from Rome and Athens, we get some indication of what early Chinese culture and Buddhism, and classical Mediterranean civilization have meant in the world’s history.

There are just five languages that have had an overwhelming significance as carriers of culture. They are classical Chinese, Sanskrit, Arabic, Greek, and Latin. In comparison with these, even such culturally important languages as Hebrew and French sink into a secondary position."

– Edward Sapir, Language

2 Likes