Language Learners' Library

Gimme that old time placenta
it’s good enough for me

1 Like

You are making me want to cook something good like that. Unfortunately, I am not good at baking cakes, and I don’t know if I have all of the ingredients anyways.

1 Like

From Apicius’ de re coquinaria:

Adicies in mortarium piper, ligusticum, origanum, fricabis, suffundes liquamen, adicies cerebella cocta, teres diligenter, ne astulas habeat. Adicies ova quinque et dissolves diligenter, ut unum corpus efficias. Liquamine temperas et in patella aenea exinanies, coques. Cum coctum fuerit, versas in tabula munda, tessellas concides. Adicies in mortarium piper, ligusticum, origanum, fricabis, in se commmisces, mittes in caccabum, facies ut ferveat. Cum ferbuerit, tractum confringes, obligas, coagitabis et exinanies in boletari. Piper asperges et appones.

@bugcat, analyze.

My Translation

You add pepper, lovage and oregano into a mortar, you grate it, fill liquamen (like Vietnamese fish sauce) to it, add cooked brains, grate it carefully, so it won’t have splinters. You add five eggs and mix it carefully, so you make one single mass. You season it lightly with fish sauce and pour it into a copper pan, then cook it. When it will be cooked, pour it on a clean table and cut it in cubes. Add pepper, lovage, oregano into a mortar, grate it, put it into a caccabus (frying pan?), make it roast. Once it roasts, (… I don’t understand that part), you mix it together and put it into a boletarium (lit. mushroom-dish). Sprinkle with pepper and serve.

NB.: The verbs in the latin text are mostly in the future, some in the future perfect. I think it’s because that’s more polite than the imperative, but it also assumes that the reader will first read the recipe and then proceed to cook. So it’s only logical to say: First, you will do that, then you will do this.

2 Likes

Will do, just as soon as I finish my Latin --> English translation.

Phrases along the lines “in order to…” or “so that they be…” are usually formed with ut sit, ut sint, ut fiat, and similarly. In short, you make an ut-clause with subjunctive.

As long as you keep particles in the nominative singular, it is assumed that they refer to subject of the sentence, in this case the person to who the imperative is directed. You’re telling me to be in heat while putting the cakes into the oven. Speaking of placentae, this is quite unappropriate.

A timeframe can be expressed with a pure accusative or the preposition ad, as you did quite rightly. For “at 180°C”, maybe a different preposition than cum is better, but I don’t know which.

I really don’t understand cum in centrum perterge.
And be careful with the cases. Here, the ablative works, because it’s “inside the oven”, not “into the oven”.

Here, take the ablative, too. Anything involved with separation and removement takes the ablative. Also, use the accusative for the placentae, of course. Same as in the sentence above and below with conditura.

If this is supposed to mean “sprinkle with ground sugar”, there are quite some issues again. 1. The function of the sugar is something instrumental, I suppose. “With what do I sprinkle it? with sugar.” So, ablative. 2. Saccharum is neuter. frendus needs to be put in the accusative too, as you oughta know. Otherwise it says: While being a ground person, sprinkle the sugar.

1 Like

resiliunt cum in centrum perterge was meant to mean springs back when lightly pressed in the centre. But yeah, pertergo should be the passive of the cake, not the active imperative to the person doing the pressing.

And I still don’t understand why you seem to think quae means “it” and can be used as a main clauses’ subject. Are you familiar with main clause and subordinate clause or do you want me to explain that sometime?

1 Like

Thanks for the help, I’ll look at this again c:

Discussing these things with you makes me realise how difficult all this must be for you as an Anglo, and how far removed English is from its inflecting cousins. The word ‘put’ is, to you, any person, any number, infinitive, imperative, past tense and also a participle. All these things are very different pairs of shoes in all other indoeuropean languages.

So, what I eventually did, was to learn these function words and morphemes not like ‘"quae’ means ‘that, but I not every that’", but I learned “quae is a relative pronoun” or “the -avi ending is for a completed action in the past” or I remember “to make a consecutive subordinate clause I can use ut” instead of learning “ut = ‘in order to’”.

2 Likes

That can’t be an excuse for me to give up, though >:3

At least I’m learning an Indo-European language, unlike most of us in this thread who are tackling Japanese. It’s helpful also that Latin and English have a huge vocabulary interlap.

But yeah, heavy inflection doesn’t come naturally to me :<

3 Likes

Edited the above post to add some stuff.

Hmm, Avestan might be cool to learn.

Suppose I learnt Latin, then Ancient Greek, then Avestan, then Sanskrit: that’d be a tour of some really important languages and I wouldn’t even have to leave Indo-European.

meanwhile I’ve barely reached the start of the voyage to the beginning of the path to the foothills of learning Latin

3 Likes

Time in Japanese

Vocab

Month names

The months are easy, and simply are numbered from 1 to 12:

English Japanese reading
January 一月 いちがつ
February 二月 にがつ
March 三月 さんがつ
April 四月 しがつ
May 五月 ごがつ
June 六月 ろくがつ
July 七月 しちがつ
August 八月 はちがつ
September 九月 くがつ
October 十月 じゅうがつ
November 十一月 じゅういちがつ
December 十二月 じゅうにがつ
Days of the week

The weekdays are interesting, as they were introduced to Japan through Chinese, which adopted a 7-day week after Greek tradition, and named them after the same planets as the Greeks did. However, different from the Greeks, Romans and Nordic tradition, they did not use gods, but the Five Elements to name their planets.

English Japanese reading Named after Element
Sunday 日曜日 にちようび Sun
Monday 月曜日 げつようび Moon
Tuesday 火曜日 かようび Mars Fire
Wednesday 水曜日 すいようび Mercury Water
Thursday 木曜日 もくようび Jupiter Wood
Friday 金曜日 きんようび Venus Metal
Saturday 土曜日 どようび Saturn Earth
Timekeeping

The day is divided into before noon (a.m.) 午前 - ごぜん and after noon (p.m.) 午後 - ごご.

Then we have

English Japanese reading
morning あさ
noon / midday ひる
evening 夜 / 晩 / 夕方 よる / ばん / ゆうがた
night 夜 / 夜中 よる / よなか

The words for evening and night have some overlap. 夕方 is the time around sunset, so something like 18:00 to 21:00, while 夜 / 夜中 is used for the time in between sunset and sunrise: the time it’s dark. For the middle of the night, 23:00 to 3:00, they use 真夜中 (まよなか). 晩 is probably the closest to what the English “evening” means.

For the duration of time, there are the following terms:

English Japanese reading
year ねん
month げつ
week しゅう
day にち
hour
minute ふん
second びょう

If something takes a particular amount of time, it can be emphasised that a period is meant by attaching 間 (かん) as a suffix to any of the words above. For months, usually ヶ月 (かげつ) is used instead of 月間, though.

Note that 秒 is the same byou as in byou-yomi: literally reading the seconds, but it’s the Japanese word for “countdown”.

Grammar challenge

(at an unspecified time in the future, perhaps)

i can’t give you a like until you add the traditional month names :T

1 Like

But they’re not used anymore :confused:

(in fact, I’m seeing them for the first time right now)

:T

I wil pout at you more good sir :T

1 Like

It’s “better” not “more good”

Vsotvep ducks to avoid whatever bugcat might throw at him

1 Like

it’s

more, good sir

with a comma :slight_smile:

unless you were being ironic… :confused:

I think it was ^^

1 Like

Let me throw in some words I’m learning (which means I don’t necessarily know the correct translation).

建造物(けんぞうぶつ)- structure, building
重要性(じゅうようせい)- importance
コリ形(こりがたち)- overconcentrated shape
互角(ごかく)- even result

Also, ~がち seems to mean “tend to”.

Sentence of the day:
定石を暗記するのは無意味でしょう。

2 Likes