Language Learners' Library

Thank you mery vuch, I’ve seen that one before but couldn’t find it again when I wanted to re-read it.

2 Likes

(Japanese)

Go (碁) is very rare word, its on 17 044 th place
But, there is very popular word that originated as a Go term
ダメ - usually it means “don’t do it!” , 567 th place

(da, “meaningless”) + (me, “territory in a Go game”).
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/駄目
https://senseis.xmp.net/?Dame

5 Likes

Oi, @bugcat, have you heard about Lingua Latina per se illustrata (LLPSI)? It’s a series of Latin textbooks that teach the language in an immersive way without a third language as medium - just like textbooks for modern languages. It lets you learn the natural way.

2 Likes

japanese asemic proverb:

ことわざ: proverb
ノリ: good rhythm
… かのように: as if …
ある: to exist
ない: to not exist
逃げる(にげる): to escape, more like ‘to avoid’ here
下の句(しものく): the latter part of a poem/phrase (句)

1 Like

@S_Alexander

内マガリ (うちまがり)

整形の手筋 (せいけいのてすじ): tesuji (method) for fixing shape.
It usually involves sacrifice/forcing moves to settle a group.

整える(ととのえる): to put something in order
形(かたち): shape, figure

3 Likes

Igopremium offers to watch Nakamura Sumire June 29th game live with commentary for 500 yen.

2 Likes

Not sure if this is the right place for this but I enjoyed this short video about ablaut reduplication (which sadly I already knew about) and learned that it exists in other languages. The video gives a few German and one Japanese example but it got me wondering if there are others in other languages. Mainly because they often seen like fun expressions. Any offers?

4 Likes
2 Likes

Pro player plays hex

3 Likes

Some Japanese move names (there’s a picture there, click twitter com at the top to follow the link)

2 Likes

This one’s going in my anki deck :stuck_out_tongue:

I like this variant: https://twitter.com/sakaya69983676/status/1282645641730985984

2 Likes

LLL died a bit without me here, huh?

I recently bought the first thirty-something books of Pliny’s Natural History, translated in the early-mid 20th century and compiled into three or four Loeb volumes. Sadly one of them got its cover a bit damaged by rain when I took it outside, but the pages are all still fine.

The Loeb translations are, perhaps, more scholarly in approach than some others, for instance the first volume begins with a very extensive index and list of Pliny’s references that lasts for about 150 pages.

Let’s compare some passages between a) the Latin b) the translation by Harris Rackham, 1938 in the Loeb volume and c) the translation by John F. Healy, 1991, in the book Natural History: A Selection.

2 Likes

About the Earth’s orbit

Pliny (Loeb format):
Hanc ergo formam eius aeterno et in inrequieto ambitu, inenarrabili celeritate, viginti quattuor horarum spatio circumago solis exortus et occasus haut dubium reliquere.

Rackham: The world thus shaped then is not at rest but eternally revolves with indescribable velocity, each revolution occupying the space of 24 hours: the rising and setting of the sun have left this not doubtful.

Healy: The rising and setting of the sun leave us in no doubt that the world is this shape and that it revolves eternally, without rest and at an indescribable speed, each revolution taking twenty-four hours.

//

About the Moon

Pliny: Non sumus profecto grati erga eos qui labore curaque lucem nobis aperuere in hac luce, miraue humani ingeni peste sanqinem et caedes condere annalibus iuvat, ut scelera hominum noscantur mundi ipsius ignaris.

Rackham: We forsooth feel no gratitude towards those whose assidious toil has given us illumination on the subject of this luminary, while owing to a curious disease of the human mind we are pleased to enshrine in history records of bloodshed and slaughter, so that persons ignorant of the facts of the world may be acquainted with the crimes of mankind.

Healy: But we show no gratitude to those whose toil and concern have thrown light on this source of illumination. Yet, thanks to a strange affliction of the human mind, it pleases us to record bloodshed and slaughter in our historical records so that those who have no knowledge of the world itself may know about the crimes of mankind.

2 Likes

SUPER COOL OwO

As far as I can tell Hyde has this to say, in modern orthography:

Hic ludus bellicus, (…) apud serum magnates plurimum exerceri solet orbiculis uitreis numero 360, in tabella (…) cuius quadratura est duorum pedum, & aliquando minori forma.

Most of the elite are accustomed to occupy themselves with this slow-paced game of war; it uses 360 little, glassy disks on a square, often small, two-footed table.

Latin English
Hic ludus bellicus … serum this slow(-paced) game of war / warlike game
magnates plurimum most / many of the important people
apud … exerceri solet are accustomed to being occupied by
orbiculis uitreis numero 360, 360 little, glassy / translucent disks
in tabella cuius quadratura est duorum pedum, on a square, two-footed table
& aliquando minori forma. that is sometimes small
2 Likes

Let’s breathe some life back into this thread.

Vocab Workout: The Kitchen

Translate each term into your target language~

bugcat's Latin translation

Vsotvep's Japanese translation

Anyone remember how to make a wikipost?

1 Like

WIkiposts are only available for regular users, which you are not anymore / not yet, so I made your post a wiki.

Thanks c:

I just came across this wonderful, handy :wink: guide and thought I should share it here:

It looks like a silly joke, but it is actually quite accurate. :flushed:

6 Likes

Yay, welcome back! The Seres, -um are the Chinese.

1 Like