Language Learners' Library

Latin doesn’t have many words in any form where two identical vowels follow each other without a consonant to separate them.

Why are you excluding the very common -iī inflection of the -ius root?

eg. filius (the son), filii (the sons, the son’s, you sons), filiis (from the sons)

Apart from Sanonius’ mention of uu, there are also several (albeit obscure) words that end -aeae, although that isn’t exactly a vowel repetition.

1 Like

From a quick look through the examples in the Library of Latin Texts, the sequence aeae is almost entirely confined to proper nouns, almost all Greek (but Poppaeae is presumably an exception), and the adjectives derived from them, plus a couple of common nouns, also Greek, in Pliny.

I wasn’t counting sequences of long and short vowel.

I also didn’t mean that Latin never has such sequences (you can add piissimus and verbs like tribuunt and I dare say quite a few more), only that they tend to be rare. And the changes from the expected form in things like the -uo- sequence replacing the -uu- sequence throughout republican Latin or the difficulties with the vocative of deus and similar words seem to fit in with that. But I’m not a linguist and don’t know what experts think about the rules for acceptable word formations in Latin.

1 Like

I did a deep dive into Latin vocabulary around the start of this year, making an Anki deck that I later ended up deleting because it was too cluttered.

In the process of making that deck, I did find a few generic nouns with an -aeae inflection, mainly plants. I don’t remember any of those words now, though. Quite possibly those were the Plinean Greco–Latin nouns you mention, but I did think there were more than just a couple, maybe as many as five or more.

I think I remember seeing a bird name with an -aeae inflection as well…

By the way, following the brief discussion of the tonal conlang Toaq in Questions That Don’t Deserve Their Own Thread, I started reading about it and found these two diagrams showing the tones.

The first diagram shows the original tones, from 2017:

The second shows the revised ones from 2019:

It appears that the language creator became disillusioned with the falling–rising pattern, and apparently also removed creaky voice, whilst shifting to rely more on glottal stop differentiation.

Also found this:

2 Likes
2 Likes

I only searched for actual occurrences in ancient Latin. There are other words that end in -aea that would give -aeae in genitive singular or nominative plural; but (possibly just because they’re not common words) there were no instances in the database. Most of the words that come into question seem to be Greek. You can see what there is by looking at one such word at the site logeion and using the “inverse” button in the side column to get a reverse order word index of similar words: https://logeion.uchicago.edu/spiraea

That site has the disadvantage for me (advantage for others) that it incorporates dictionaries of medieval and later Latin. For antiquity, there’s Gradenwitz’s Laterculi vocum latinarum (1903), which has an alphabetical and reverse alphabetical index of all ancient Latin words that were then known. I’m not sure if the link works, but if it does, this is the relevant page:Laterculi vocum Latinarum : voces Latinas et a fronte et a tergo ordinandas : Gradenwitz, Otto, 1860-1935 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

3 Likes

At some point I bought a brush pen and tried to draw characters. With my unsteady hands it was very frustrating, all of them looked skewed or otherwise imperfect compared to pretty examples on the internet. Additionally I had some fun turning them digital, it wasn’t completely straightforward.

2 Likes

How do you pronounce “miai”?
What’s the correct Japanese pronunciation?

As an Italian speaker I say something like “mee-eye” but from the thread on puns I just realised that English speakers would probably say “my-eye”.

I say /'mi:.aij/; I’m not sure where the pitch accent should fall, and obviously the /j/ at the end is an Englishism, but that’s how I tend to say it. /'maij:.aij/ would never occur to me, personally. Perhaps the puns are bending English grammar and using “me” where “I” would be correct as it doesn’t change the meaning.

1 Like

My dictionary says the first syllable gets the accent.

The joke was this one by yebellz:

“I thought I was going to see my stones live, but then I lost miai!”

I read it as “I lost my eye”, therefore the question.

I should definitely study this notation, since it isn’t very intuitive for me.

I’m guessing most English speakers would say “me” rather than “my”, but the joke still works in a lot of English dialects.

3 Likes

vowels in Japanese work more like Russian than like English
so no additional sounds out of nowhere, pure transcription
Go is not gou as in English “to go” , its just “go” as in “gold” or “golf”
miai
but i sound if it is after other vowel sometimes sounds like Russian consonant Й
mi is like English “me”
ai is like English “eye”
but in songs, Japanese vowels usually sound like vowels only

1 Like

I say /'mi:aɪ/ (mee-eye).

I’m not sure anyone genuinely says /'maɪaɪ/ (my-eye). We established that the -aeae (/aɪaɪ/) ending only barely exists in Latin; well, I can’t think of any cases where it’s present in English, except in aye-aye and initialisms ending in II, like BII (British Institute of Beekeeping).

Then again, it can be argued that /i:aɪ/ isn’t a natural English ending either. The only instances of its appearance that I can think of are in Japanese loanwords kiai and Latinisms like viae, and, of course, initialisms ending in EI like BEI (Business Entity Identifier).

In fact, I struggle to think of English words in which /aɪ/ follows any vowel at all.

2 Likes

Go is not gou as in English “to go” , its just “go” as in “gold”

In my dialect, at least (Southern British English), the go in to go is the go in gold.

They both have the “long o”, in contrast to the “short o” of golf.

In other words, for me cot is not coat, which is also not court.

“short o” “long o” “or”
bot boat bought
caul(iflower) coal call
cot coat caught
dot dote daught(er)
gos(samer) ghos(t) gorse
hol(ly) hole hall
mal(t) mole mall
mott moat mort(ician)
pot pot(able) port
pock poke pork
(rol)lick roll d(rawl)
tot(ter) tote taught

hopefully not a repost but found this cool site

https://thekanjimap.com/index.html?k=明

you can navigate the relationships between kanji using radicals. not sure how to best make use of it in practical study but it’s an attractively made site

1 Like

Mee-ow, of course.

But yeah, miai is too common of a word to be significantly mispronounced.

One way is to look up radical composition of a character. Sometimes when I look up kanji in jisho by radicals, it doesn’t give me kanji I need even though I input correct radicals. So one or more of the radicals I’ve chosen is incorrect, but even after finally finding the kanji I never learn what radical was wrong. I haven’t found a website that would break down characters.

Of course, I don’t have an example handy. I’ll get back to you when I stumble upon some confusing character.

But to illustrate, for example, one might wonder what the hell is that thing on the left there: , and boom website just tells you how to break it down. Well, this one is easy but you get the idea.

2 Likes

did it work for you? I get “no data for kanji 歃”

edit: looks like kanjimap is using the same data source as jisho.org, from EDRDG. but kanshudo has the left hand side component 歃 Kanji Detail - Kanshudo