Language Learners' Library

Title matches overview for beginners

Too bad they speak too quickly and too complicated for me. But I didn’t know about title priorities which decide player naming, so I learned something. Surprising that Kisei is considered the coolest title.

marrow - … a companion

I’ve never heard this in Modern English. Wiktionary calls it “archaic or Scottish”.

The only place I knew it from was the early 17th-c. poem Tom o’ Bedlam:

When I short have shorn my sow’s face
And swigged my horny barrel,
In an oaken inn I pound my skin
As a suit of gilt apparel;
The moon’s my constant mistress,
And the lowly owl my marrow;
The flaming drake and the night crow make
Me music to my sorrow.

ibid. as in ibidem

I didn’t know this one. (ibid. = ibidem = in the same place)

litter is a bit broader than stretcher. To quote the first sense on Wiktionary:

A platform mounted on two shafts, or a more elaborate construction, designed to be carried by two (or more) people to transport one (in luxury models sometimes more) third person(s) or (occasionally in the elaborate version) a cargo, such as a religious idol.

See also palanquin, from Portugese and ultimately Sanskrit:

A covered type of litter for a stretched-out passenger, carried on four poles on the shoulders of four or more bearers, as formerly used (also by colonials) in eastern Asia.

Palanquin litters in GoT:

1 Like

I don’t think I ever linked Luke’s Latin chronology spreadsheet google doc.

2 Likes

Quick question…Is the espanol translation of the ‘resign’ button correct? ie. “Abandonar” and while I’m at it, the korean translation of the ‘Report’ button in the user popup? We seem to get a few reports from korean users that look like they were trying to message someone.

1 Like

Actually, that webpage I posted before wasn’t that relevant.

You know what, I need to make a “learning video” as an assignment for my teacher’s training and I’m totally stealing this format, translate it into German and make it about a Sapphic poem.

2 Likes
1 Like

Since I missed Anki this weekend, I have to dig myself out of a pile of reviews. Terrible.

I like character for nail: 釘 because it’s a nail on the right there, and the left radical is metal.

2 Likes

He should do AMSR or what’s it called. Oh wait, he does!

There’s an interesting story about that phonetic element and a Nobel prize:

Ting assigned the name “J” to it, which is one letter away from “K”, the name of the already-known strange meson; possibly by coincidence, “J” strongly resembles the Chinese character for Ting’s name (丁)

4 Likes

There was a building at MIT that prominently featured a large J over the door to commemorate this discovery.

My parents (native Chinese speakers) told me that the resemblance between 丁 and J must have been obvious and more than just a coincidence in Ting’s choice to name it the “J” particle.

3 Likes

I think I’ve told that story while standing in front of that sign!

3 Likes

I mostly dug myself out. Some more words:

• tableland - what a silly word, right?
  • anteroom
  • stationery
  • contusion - it appears to mean something like bruise, but Russian analogue came to mean concussion, like from an explosion.
  • fishmonger
  • inundated - I probably knew this word from things related to Egypt but not very well.
  • lacquerware - still not sure what exactly does this mean
  • to wilt
  • to be wizened
  • frugality
1 Like

tableland

new to me

anteroom

I think antechamber is more common.

contusion

A technical term. I knew the word but not the meaning.

fishmonger

A -monger is just a -seller. It can be applied to various goods.

Who sells cheese? cheesemongers.
Iron? ironmongers.
Lightbulbs? The Worshipful Company of Lightmongers.

An exception are wine merchants, who are not winemongers but rather vintners, from vinetarii.

inundated - I probably knew this word from things related to Egypt

Inundation is the conventional English translation of the Egyptian Akhet season, which lasts from the 11th of September to the 8th of January.

lacquerware - still not sure what exactly does this mean

A ware is a good, especially a ceramic good.
eg. Raku ware is pottery made in the Raku tradition.

So lacquerware are goods covered with lacquer.

Asian lacquerware, which may be called “true lacquer”, are objects coated with the treated, dyed and dried sap of Toxicodendron vernicifluum or related trees,

2 Likes

I feel this may have been used in the first book of the “Raising Dragons” series by Brian Davis? But it’s been years since I read that series.

I usually hear it in the sense of being inundated with something. Like being inundated with forum notifications in the morning.

1 Like

The Latin inundo (inundate) derives ultimately from the noun unda (wave), the root of undulation.

The ancestor verb undo means to “rise in waves”, amongst other things.

Quite an evocative word.

1 Like

inundated means ‘flooded’.

1 Like

The only monger I know is fearmonger, plenty of those, sometimes you get warmongers.

I’ve read that but it doesn’t intuitively put everything together. I don’t really know the differences between varnish and lacquer, and if it needs to be specific material to be lacquerware, and whether it needs to be artsy traditional thing or just any old thing. All these specific terms like China, ceramics, porcelain are not easy.

1 Like

These are kinda hard, N1 indeed.