Language Learners' Library

By the way, that video was on food that a lower-middle class English vassal might provide to his knight.

It was:

• a pea stew
  • brown bread
  • salmon

I’d take that any day.

By the way, I’m reminded of how, 200 years ago, oysters and lobsters were lower-class food. Now, again, I’d consider myself extremely lucky to dine on oysters and lobster with a nice rye loaf.

1 Like

On the topic of experimental archaeology, which is what that video is about, I’ve read that the mainstream view was initially that straw-roofed houses would have had a hole in their roofs to allow the smoke to exit. However, this was disproven by experimental archaeology; if a hole was provided, too much oxygen could enter the dwelling and it caught fire.

Now I think, as well, of one of David Attenborough’s autobiographies where he related entering a straw-roofed dwelling, probably in the '50s or perhaps '60s. He said that there was a very great concentration of smoke inside the house, which would be expected by there being no hole in the roof.

1 Like

The staples of the average peasant working the fields were bread, beer and bacon.

I wish I lived on that.

Oh, another interesting nugget is that apparently in England, in the Middle Ages, the “left hand taboo” applied. It was perfectly alright to eat with the fingers so long as those those fingers were on your right hand, the left hand being the one used for “wiping”.

This custom is still prevalent in India and probably many other places as well.

1 Like

the last move in this position is called “phallus nobi”.

1 Like

Also: nous mangeons.

1 Like

So I’ve taken up Middle Egyptian recently and I’m working through Allen 2014 and Werning 2015. Great fun.

1 Like

They talk about their insei years and a game between them in pro exam. If only I could understand what they’re saying.

2 Likes

磊磊
らいらく
rairaku

“a large pile of rocks”

It uses six lots of 石, the kanji for stone. Jisho also supplies a secondary meaning “openheartedness”… there appears to be an allusion to rocks that are, in this case, not weighing one down.

2 Likes

I started to seriously study korean 8-10 years ago. Because of starcraft - 100 %. Now, i don’t even have hangul in my system (i think). Is there anyone interested in penpaling korean e-mails? I want someone to destroy me on my grammar and have a nice chat at the same time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you watch Yeonwoo’s Korean channel?

The typically Korean bouncy format with its frequent subtitles might be helpful.

Honestly no. I like her videos but have never thought of adding subtitles. I’m checking it out not, let’s go :slight_smile:

I mean hardcoded subtitles appear on some of them.

Ok, not exactly what I was looking for LOL. But still good :smiley: My offer of penpaling still stands though :smiley:

On the topic of spelling, from the NSFH thread, I remembered this recent article:

https://aeon.co/amp/essays/why-is-the-english-spelling-system-so-weird-and-inconsistent

Printing houses developed habits for spelling frequent words, often based on what made setting type more efficient. In a manuscript, hadde might be replaced with had ; thankefull with thankful .

There’s a lot more interesting tidbits, this is just one example

2 Likes

I read just now that ageing is apparently the British English spelling.

But I only ever see aging and I had to look up whether ageing wasn’t just a typo.

Americanisation continues…

2 Likes

Today I spent 2 hours being distracted from my studies trying to pronounce the name of the Yugoslavian mathematician Stevo Todorčević (since I recently realised that I’ll probably have to give talks regularly and don’t want to mispronounce names, also it’s just fun to learn how to pronounce new sounds).

After struggling with the difference between č and ć, I made a bit of a breakthrough on a different front, since I think I finally managed to get my alveolar trill working! I’ve been able to pronounce the uvular trill for as long as I remember, as part of Dutch (my personal accent has a uvular trill, other Dutch people have an alveolar trill, even within the same dialect it sometimes differs from person to person), but the alveolar trill was so far the hardest thing to try pronouncing.

So, poll time:

• I can pronounce an alveolar trill (Spanish or Russian rolling r)
  • I can pronounce a uvular trill (French or German rolling r)
  • I can pronounce both
  • I can pronounce neither

0 voters

1 Like

Now I’m curious which R is the one @gennan uses

How do you pronounced lured?

• lord
  • lyord
  • lurd
  • lyurd
  • other
  • varies

0 voters

I think I say lord when I’m paying attention and lurd when I’m not.

somewhere in between?

1 Like

We haven’t done a Radical Review for a while, have we?

Let’s explore , stone. Definitions from Jisho.

boulder, rock, cliff
envy
clear land
cave jinmeiyo
stepping stone
polish, sharpen
sand, grit
break, crush
wild mulberry jinmeiyo
time, occasion
arsenic
cut with a sword