Lee Sedol Retires

Learn Korean with promotional videos.

1 Like

Wow, so she only spends ~20% of the time looking at the board? Although, maybe she has great peripheral vision.

6 Likes

Hey, if you’re an old player, you might remember go9dan.com created with support from Lee Sedol to promote go. Of course, the project failed and nothing came out of it.

But in 2013 there was Lee Sedol vs AGA-Europe Pro 10 game series (with floating handicap). Kind of Jubango.

White Black Date Handi Result and link
1 Sedol Lee Andy Liu 26 Jan 2013 Even W+R
2 Gansheng Shi Sedol Lee 2 Feb 2013 Even B+R
3 Sedol Lee Catalin Taranu 17 Feb 2013 No komi W+R
4 Sedol Lee Andy Liu 24 Feb 2013 No komi W+R
5 Sedol Lee Gansheng Shi 2 Mar 2013 Rev. komi 3.5 W+3.5
6 Sedol Lee Catalin Taranu 10 Mar 2013 Rev. komi 3.5 W+T
7 Sedol Lee Andy Liu 16 March 2013 2 Stones W+6.5
8 Sedol Lee Gansheng Shi 13 April 2013 2 Stones W+T
9 N/A
10 N/A

The 10 game match between Sedol Lee and three Western pros, Catalin Taranu, Gansheng Shi and Andy Liu, has been called after eight fascinating games, as the Western pros were “out of the money.”

Sources:

1. go9dan
  2. Lee Sedol vs Western Pros • Life In 19x19

Poll, did you know about this Lee Sedol’s match against Western pros?

• Yes, I knew about this.
  • No, this is new to me.
0 voters
10 Likes

About the Nakamura photo. Is that an actual staredown? It seems to have a furtive quality. Possibly she’s seeking reassurance, and it’s not clear to me that she’s getting it. Of course I’m just looking at a still photo. Seeing it live would reveal much more I would think.

It’s just something players do. I think we look at the opponents to try to figure out what are they thinking about the position. Some players snipe glimpses, some look openly. If you remember, when Lee Sedol played AlphaGo he also looked at Aja Huang even though it makes no difference. For some it may be psychological weapon also. With Sumire it’s funnier because she’s small and cute.

Sumire

Something for chess people

21 Likes

Well, seeing is believing. Great photos. My heart goes out to the opponent in the third photo. For his sake I’m hoping it’s just muscle stiffness, but it sure doesn’t look good.

4 Likes

I wish I could award your post more somehow. This is one of the best posts I have ever read on this site. The pictures and it’s place in this conversation are just PERFECT!!! This had made my day. Thank you so much for sharing S_Alexander :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes
2 Likes

Sad. But your legacy stands :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s a Russian article about Lee Sedol’s cases Иск Ли Седоля | Russian Go Federation

As I understand it, courts upheld Korean rules about taking share of pro winnings, and restricting tournaments to members only.

4 Likes

Not sure if this is the right place or new news but here goes

9 Likes