Lee Sedol Retires

He resigned from the Korean Baduk Association today.

Auto-translated from Korean:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hani.co.kr%2Farti%2Fsports%2Fbaduk%2F917648.html

More articles:

https://newsbeezer.com/koreaeng/스포츠-resigned-from-lee-seedols-only-victory-over-alphago/

http://cyberoro.com/news/news_view.oro?div_no=11&num=526108

16 Likes

He will be forever immortalised, not only as a truly great world best baduk pro, but, as Garry Kasparov before him, the last human to defeat a top level AI at the turning of the tide.

20 Likes

I will miss seeing the legend play. :cry:

7 Likes

From xkcd: Game AIs, regarding Chess:

Regarding Go:

22 Likes

huh… well there you go! thanks :slight_smile:

There are not weaker descendants like FineArt that still have few bugs like ladder. Random anonymouses still beat them rarely.

2 Likes

Lee Sedol is not a player i will soon forget. I remember watching him live play against Alpha go, and they were the first ever live games of go i ever watched… and thwy were amazing. He is an axtraordinary player, and the world of go owes him a lot i think.

A truly magnificent player.

7 Likes

The ripple effect of the impact of AlphaGo vs Lee Sedol is how I, among many others, heard about and got into Go :slight_smile:

weird… I thought it was much sooner, but it appears it took me 14 months to hear about the event :open_mouth:

8 Likes

I was in to go before alpha go hit the scene, but had i not been in to go already, i think Alphago vs Lee Sedol, would have been the thing to kick off this passion i have.

And indeed, the ripples from those five games are still being felt in the co community i think. Especialy as it has made AI a true contender in the world of GO, and indeed its many applications of AI outside of GO.

These are interesting times we live in.

5 Likes

Yeah, and every time I read this phrase, I wonder whether maybe it really is an ancient Chinese curse and not just a legend as I have read a while ago.

But it isn’t going to get boring, so much is sure.

3 Likes

5 Likes

For me, Lee Sedol will always be memorable not because he beat Alpha Go, but because of the speech he gave after losing to AlphaGo. I continue to search but I cannot find the complete post-game interviews with Lee Sedol after match 3 or 4.

I felt both were what captured my heart, concerning the integrity of Mr. Sedol. It was truly moving and showed the true spirit of that man, as well as the quality of his character. I hope he finds happiness in whatever he pursues in his life next. I wish him and his loving family all of the best :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

Here are the videos from the entire 5-game match. The post-game interviews are included for games 2 through 5.

13 Likes

When I’m feeling discouraged, this video about his Hand of God move always lifts me up a bit. I’m grateful for Lee Sedol’s contributions to Go history with both his win vs AlphaGo and the broken ladder game. Two awe inspiring events that will stick in my mind for probably the rest of my life.

10 Likes

Truly he was a Go genius :heart:

2 Likes

@Mulsiphix1’s search for post-match interviews also led me to watching the below video about game 4 again today

GoGameGuru (defunct now, but web-archive link below) had a nice article about that game as well:

An Younggil (from GoGameGuru) also posted an hour long video analyzing game 4 as well:

8 Likes

Ok, so the above was the optimistic view of move 78 from game 4 (of the AlphaGo vs Lee Sedol match)

However, it turns out that move 78 does not actually work. See game 4 commentary on this page:

Also, in one of the live streams covering the game, Kim Myungwan 9p and Hajin Lee 3p seem to have anticipated the possibility of the wedge and found the refutation:

Here is the specific refutation:

10 Likes

I’ve been saying that to people for a while, but couldn’t remember where I had sourced that info, thanks for posting it. It kinda bugs me when it’s spoken of as the “hand of god” when it really just confused the bot into submission.

2 Likes

clapping :cry:… Thank you SOOOO much yebellz! You are the best :scream::heart:

I don’t know… it is a lot like the famous “ear reddening move” or “blood vomiting game” (sources). These are technically trivial (at least in the sense of not being supernatural or unbelievable) games that became famous because of the story attached to them.

In this way, Lee Sedol entered the annals of history because he defeated a robot overlord. Who are we to say if how he did it was trivial? Who in their right mind thought Lee had any chance of beating AlphaGo in that 4th game?

For his achievement, regardless of why it happened, I choose to subscribe to the wonderful story and the cool term associated with his achievement. At the time, in that moment and space, that move blew the mind of just about everybody who saw it. Now that IS worthy of praise and awe :hugs:

12 Likes