Less points for weaker players in tournaments?

so i joined this 19x19 tournament it had 4 rounds in it… well at the end of the tournament i came in 4th place with 4 wins and 0 losses but the guy that came in
1st place had 1 win and 2 losses and the person that came in
2nd place had 2 wins and 2 losses and the guy that came in
3rd place had 2 wins and 1 losses and me coming in
4th place with 4 wins and 0 losses . . so would someone like to tell me how the blue blazes I didn’t come in 1st 2nd or even 3rd place when I won every match that i had in the tournament and everyone els had lost some games and didn’t win everyone of their match’s.

1 Like

What tournament are you talking about?
I suppose (like the title says) that it’s because you started with less points.
Live 19x19 and blitz 13x13 automatic sitewide tournaments a have changed quite recently, I’m not sure about when and if it was intented.

was this issue ever figured out?

Swiss: What Are Opponents/Defeated Scores? here is an explanation. Might want to look into rules of your particular tournament set up before complaining about losing, not to mention calling it a bug.

Thanks for the link but I’m not sure it’s what we’re talking about. We are talking about the “points” column, not the “Ʃ defeated opponents” one.
Recently, I’m not sure since when, some players start with a negative score. It has not always been like this

1 Like

Sounds like mcmahon bars?

4 Likes

Agree it sounds like mcmahon bars, but the linked tourney is Swiss, so it remains strange

6 Likes

no

No? Sorry, a bit confusing as you answered to yourself.

Anyway, maybe first check the different tournament system (swiss, macmahon mainly used), if this can answer your question.

The pairing can differ, according to the difference in strength being considered or not.
Some tournaments even use handicap!
It depends if you want to keep opportunity to win someone with huge established difference of levels on even terms, or if you want to still use the established rating to go more smooth and offer more enjoyable games (still serious ofc).

Some players a few times can have a surprising win on even with a gap of strength, it happens.
But when organizing a tournament with few players and huge gap (like let say a 2d will have to play a 12k) then handicap can be a choice to opt for.