Let's read Go books

Thank you as well :D

Don’t know how to review books. Actually hate reading and only read when have to.

But I do think those Japanese books I read are classic, very well written, easy to understand and fundamentals for anyone who is willing to put in some effort to improve.

Some concepts have to be told and are better learned systematically.

Then of course I am still a 1kyu. lol :sweat_smile:

That’s the goal of this elementary go books series. Well done.

For ex the 38 basic joseki when published had the goal to provide just enough Knowledge on joseki to climb the SDK levels. It was very useful but now outdated.

To climb the dans you needed more substance, and the Ishida dictionary was the next step (outdated too)

3 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

I’m reading Go with the Flow. A bit preachy, but it’s Cho Hun-hyeon, he can say whatever he wants. The short anecdote about Jimmy Cha/Minsu was not a bad read.

I could be wrong, but it seems it’s the only memoir of Baduk players that has an English translation? Hajin Lee’s one was written in English I think.

edit: Finished it. It really read like a motivational self-help book.

3 Likes

https://senseis.xmp.net/?Nachtrabe%2FBookReviews

Reviews by nachtrabe, who described himself at one point as “ranked around 2-3k on KGS” and an “overestimated” 2.2 dan AGA, of Haengma and Yang Yilun’s book Rescue and Capture.

1 Like

Book recommendations from Ilan (~5k), 2006:

• Hikaru no Go
  • The Endgame
  • Get Strong at Tesuji
  • Understanding How to Play Go
  • Semeai Tesuji
  • All About Life and Death
  • Fundamental Principles of Go
  • Get Strong at the Opening
  • Kogo’s Joseki Dictionary
1 Like

Suzuki Tamejiro’s two-volume work Shikatsu Kenkyuu (Life and Death Research), hosted by the Japanese Diet Library site: Volume I, Volume II.

My knowledge of copyright law is, as we established, poor; but I wouldn’t be surprised if these books are now public domain. They wouldn’t quality for “seventy years after the author’s death” as Suzuki died in 1960, but I’m pretty sure that is not the relevant law.

2 Likes

May as well revive this with

Possibly a good place to get ebooks of some of the mentioned books :slight_smile:

This 20% discount is valid through Monday March 6. It’s the first discount in the 12 years of Go Books, so please grab this opportunity. (Note that royalties to authors and publishers are always based on the regular price, so they get their full payment.)

4 Likes

Thanks. Bought 20 of them. :rofl:

1 Like

I got a couple of yilun yang Tsumego books. They’re a bit unusual looking but I kind of want to just practice visualising some things anyway to work on reading :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you already know this Yang Yilun collection?

1 Like

That’s the ones that I got :slight_smile:

1 Like

Inseong Hwang’s problem book is out now

https://www.amazon.com/Trouble-Master-brand-tsumego-problem/dp/B0CCCQSJXJ/

5 Likes

For anyone who won’t buy from Amazon for ethical reasons, the book can also be purchased directly from Inseong during the European Go Congress, and Inseong said he was in discussions with dutch library Schaak en Gowinkel het Paard.

5 Likes

Also now

5 Likes

8 Likes

Some more book updates

3 Likes

Something in the works it looks like

2 Likes