Let's revive the teaching ladder

@BHydden I just tried to create the group – didn’t work. Same problem.

What name do you want? I’ll make the group and then assign you as admin

1 Like

Just “The Teaching Ladder”?

When you join the group I’ll make you admin

https://online-go.com/group/4478

2 Likes

Just done it c:

All yours :heart:

1 Like

Thank you :3

1 Like

Now I’m going to have to study the mechanics of the old teaching ladder for how they managed game uploads. No hurry.

3 Likes

Reminder that I haven’t forgotten about this. I’m looking at the old teaching ladder writeup now to try to figure out how they allowed users to upload games.

Edit: It looks like they used a Google Doc.

Edit 2: I’m not really informed on how to make a new Google account. Obviously I don’t want to tie my online Google account that’s linked to my Gmail, Youtube etc. into this. Could take some more time. Or perhaps we could just hijack the old Teaching Ladder’s doc, since they haven’t had a single game entered since November 2019?

Hmmm, isn’t there some way to do this without Google? :face_with_monocle:

I don’t understand, I thought it was about teaching games, like actually playing? And for reviews, can’t we just share a game link in chat ? :open_mouth: is it much more complicated then I imagined?

The difficulty comes in how the members of the ladder can submit their games for review. The group chat only lasts until you refresh your browser, like private messages. The old teaching ladder got around this by using a public-edit Google doc.

Since nothing has happened yet, I just created this free and public etherpad: https://pad.coding4coffee.org/p/OGS_Teaching_Ladder

I guess that should work for this group. (I don’t know what the first group’s file looked like.) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, nice job. I thought we’d reached an impasse there.

What happened in the end?

Did the old Teaching Ladder revive of its own accord?

Is it still dead?

Are we all just happy to use GoKibitz and the forums?

2 Likes

One could always use a discord server with channels to post game links/reviews from OGS either :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I registered in the teaching ladder group although I can’t participate because I can’t use Google.

I can testify that it looks active as I get the group chat messages.
I am happier each time OGS is more a complete tool and I think it’s a bit sad if OGS is not good enough to satisfy the needs of this room.
That’s something to think and a good study case to improve OGS.

3 Likes

I check it once in a while and will review games if I have time. It had a nice activity bbom this summer but has died down a bit again lately. It moved more at kyu level though, I think I have 3 games that have been awaiting review for a good long while.

3 Likes