Links to OGS from Forums not working correctly

Clicking this link redirects directly to the watch games page.
(Tried it twice and both times wasn’t able to open the game.)

I also experience this strange redirect often when I check the puzzles I present my puzzles in my puzzle thread:

Apart from it being a bit annoying (having to open Forums again and trying to check that puzzle again), it might also explain why (unfortunately) the number of daily visits has recently dropped from approximately 25 to 10.

I would really appreciate it a developer would look into this and solve this bug.

@GreenAsJade or @dexonsmith ?

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-10-14 om 08.31.15

Edit: maybe going a bit off topic. Should I make a new thread of this post?

I think it is a useful discussion to have, and I also have noticed that various links to OGS from the forums don’t work properly from time to time. Either you end up in the wrong place or when you get there nothing loads or something like that.

Then sometimes while there the back button doesn’t work to go back to the forums etc

1 Like

In fact editing @Atorrante’s post to include the link to the other thread, this is exactly what happens to me, it doesn’t load when you get there, the back button doesn’t redirect properly etc.

I don’t think it’s to do with the form of the link either as in if one is using the […](…) syntax for links.

Or maybe it is that?

all those links work properly for me (android, chromium)

Part of the iOS problem could be related to what looks like the url not changing properly when following the link?

Or maybe it’s indicative of some part of the problem?

1 Like

Works for me too on desktop Firefox.

What happens if you disable javascript? Those move number links use javascript to go to the move. What happens if you remove the move number segment of the url?

Good question

https://online-go.com/game/68615208

vs

I was going to say that the url doesn’t change on this one, but after clicking the other one a couple of times and going back to test, now it’s all working.

Including

again.

Quite strange. Not sure what triggers it then exactly.

I’ve experienced this too. Haven’t sorted out when or why… but I only access OGS from Safari so I can confirm it (sometimes) reproduces there.

I wonder if it has something to do logged-in state… maybe some sort of auto-log-in-to-OGS-after-redirect-from-forums feature gone awry. If someone had time for some experiments, it might be worth trying this matrix of experiments to see if any of them reproduced it consistently:

• logged into forums, but not OGS (then click link from forums)
  • logged into OGS, but not forums (then click link from forums)
  • logged into both (then click link from forums)
  • logged into neither (then click link from forums)

Maybe also worth trying the above crossed with:

• Opening in same window vs. new tab

I don’t think I’ll have time soon to investigate, but thought I’d share my idea in case someone else is motivated to run the experiments.

2 Likes