Looking for lots of beginner problems

I’m just working my way through a chessbook called “Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations and Games” and it is really helping my pattern recognition.

So I want to do something similar for Go so is there any similar books for Go or a collection somewhere? I would want problems and answers

https://tsumego.tasuki.org/ is a classic resource

That’s quite a regular format in chinese books but you ll have to get one of them. Big size, 1000 problems. Just for information.

I just posted something here.

Tsumego Hero is also a nice resource with many collections for beginners.

Any name of such a book and I can start looking from?

Not really but if you find some Chinese weiqi books online selling, big chance to find what you re searching. There are here more threads about how to buy online, I let you search sorry.

You mean the giant Polgar book? I remember seeing it in a bookshop, but I didn’t buy it because it looked like too much. You’re braver than I am :slight_smile:

If you’re looking for printed books, then the nearest English language equivalent is Graded Go Problems For Beginners at Sensei's Library. It’s a 4-volume set rather than a single giant book, about 1400 problems in total.

The Chinese book that Groin referred to is probably Weiqi Life and Death 1000 Problems at Sensei's Library. Don’t be intimidated by the language: you can pretty much figure out everything from the diagrams, no need to read the words! You just need to know whether each problem is black or white to play first. Black is 黑 and white is 白. And there are plenty of people in this forum who can help if you have questions.

The Lee Changho books LiChangHo Jingjiang Weiqi Shoujin at Sensei's Library and LiChangHo Jingjiang Weiqi Sihuo at Sensei's Library are also popular. Again, about 1400 problems if you buy all 12 books (It’s a lot of shelf space! but the books are relatively cheap.)

I wrote a bit about ordering from Taobao at My first Taobao purchase: assorted Chinese tsumego books • Life In 19x19. And there’s a bunch of other online retailers who sell Chinese books.

2 Likes

Just a small piece of warning
The graded Go problems for beginners is a very nice collection but it isn’t… For beginners. Well not the vol 2 to 4. And the 4 is honestly quite high level already.

2 Likes

There are a massive number of beginner problems being added at goproblems.com almost every day.

Easy Kill and Easy Capture on Tsumego Hero. Avoid Easy Life (way too many seki problems).
Before going back, I suggest viewing “How to Use 101Weiqi” from TelegraphGo. Go through what you could for at least the first three books. It’s okay to move to another book without finishing one before. Sort by difficulty setting.

Also, add these two books.

https://www.101weiqi.com/book/421/

https://www.101weiqi.com/book/346/

as recommended by this post
https://www.reddit.com/r/baduk/comments/y2egau/recommendation_for_tsumego_collection_everyone/

These are really not beginner level! 101weiqi ranks are rather harsh: “2k average” there is dan level in most other ranking systems.

For something closer to beginner problems on that site, try https://www.101weiqi.com/book/5120/.

How beginner is beginner?

30k - 20k? I’d recommend the Speed Baduk series of books.

19k onwards, I’d recommend Graded Go Problems for beginners.

Of course there are other problem books available, like 500 Go Problems: Are you Ready for “Colour” by Gunnar Dickfeld. These are good sets of problems but due to space considerations (I assume) they just have the correct answer with no explanation, also no failure or variation diagrams.