Malkovitch protection, please!

noted and understood… im not sure why you are disagreeing with me though, we arent really talking about the same thing.

as i said, i am not against making the log invisible to guests [EDIT: i have since been convinced otherwise] and i believe that for a number of people this will make using the log more attractive. while i am a huge fan of the malkovich idea, unfortunately the value log notes provide for spectators will be diminished as long as there is no easy way to track down and follow malkovich correspondence games. that is why i brought it up first and foremost, not to make an argument for keeping things as they are.

@GreenAsJade If we’d do that, you’d need to take 2 negative things into account:

• When legitimate guests enter the server because the game was shared on another site, they won’t see the logs.
  • Your opponent can have an alt account to login and read the logs. (Trust me, those users that watch your logs as guests will do that.)

My advice is don’t even care about that. This hardly ever happens, and when it does, it’s really not the end of the world.

3 Likes

good point!

turns out i am against it after all :slight_smile:.

1 Like

I have no idea how other ppl use malko log, but i personally think it as a good tool for teaching and sharing ideas to others. Making it hidden wouldn’t be any help for this use, it would just make malko log more useless.

And i have nothing against if my opponents want to study my thought while we are in the middle of teaching game, i’d be actually glad if some of my ‘students’ would actually make the effort to open the game in incognito mode and read what i wrote there.

If anything, i hope there would be a big red ! or something to indicate there is something written on malkovitch log at the first place, instead it being hidden like it is now.

3 Likes

:bangbang:
that would be a great start!
:bangbang:

1 Like

This whole discussion is only about Malkovitch in ranked games.

In a teaching game you wouldn’t bother with a Malko log at all - you just write your thoughts in the chat,

The point is I was requesting/suggesting is to hide it only from your opponent, during a ranked game.

The price of implementing this would be that guests would not be able to watch the Malkovitch of a ranked game during the play, they would only be able to review it after.

The consensus of the discussion seems to be that everyone prefers flexibility like “guests from other sites can see the Malko log” over the security that “opponents can’t see it”.

That’s OK - consensus is good.

I think that the result of this is that in practical terms Malkovitch is is consigned to remain a niche thing, instead of a common occurrence. But that’s the price you pay for the flexibility that you want.

Maybe if/when we get “private notes (that you can make unprivate after the game)” then we will be able to enjoy more widespread reading what people were thinking while they played ranked games.

GaJ

4 Likes