Maximum Fischer Time Settings for Live Games

Ali Jabarin mentioned in the european championship stream that there’s an “annoying bug on ogs”, which causes the time under Fischer settings to be capped at one hour. Players who play fast in the beginning should be able to gain time that exceeds one hour. I thought, that they just chose a wrong setup, but then I found out that one hour is indeed the maximum for both the “inital time” and the “max time” (for live games).

I think there should be the option for at least two hours for both values, maybe even more.

5 Likes

In a real life game it is usually possible to tell if your opponent has abandoned the game. Left the club and driven home etc. Online it is a lot harder to tell. If a user can carry 2 hours of fischer time into the endgame and then stops playing how is the opponent (or a moderator) supposed to know that the game has actually been abandoned. Open slather on time settings is too susceptible to abuse imho.

2 Likes

OGS tends to have “too many” options and to give “maximum freedom of choice” in general, as far as I can see. It strikes me as odd then that a maximum cap would be forced on players, just because it “might” lead to the opponent leaving. Are 5hs main time games forbidden to be created too, for example? That would be weird and pretty inconsistent with the rest of OGS, but the argument would be identical, the opponent might play fast instead of using 5 hs but then leave in the endgame, and it is hard to know online if they really left…

I would say, just let the players decide upon creation of the game, as with everything else, why force it. Maybe enforce some sensible limit like, “500hs maximum” is ridiculous for a “live” game, but “2hs” certainly not. I mean, this is apparently already causing problems to European professional players according to the OP…

5 Likes

What Fisher setting was his request exactly?

1 Like

I certainly agree that, if the fischer cap should even exist at all, it is certainly currently too low and should be at least raised.

6 Likes

I guess this change didn’t get made yet.

4 Likes

1,000,000.00 hours is a nice round number that also just so happens to pretty closely align with the upper bound of human life expectancy, especially factoring in age you learn to play :wink: seems like a fittingly almost infinite upper bound for fischer games :grin:

1 Like

If we wanted to play British championship games on OGS then this 1 hour max limit would stop us from doing so.

I say remove it.

Also I’m not a fan of OGS making you forfeit games when your still have time left on your clock. If you have 30 mins left on your clock then your should be able to take a 20 minute think / nap and then continue without OGS busybody declaring you lost after 5 minutes from disconnection.

3 Likes

I mean just don’t close the tab/close out of the game and you won’t lose by disconnection.

I’ve certainly spent very long amounts of time thinking in some tournament games on OGS and didn’t get the game forfeit.

Regarding the Fischer cap, I also don’t understand why it’s there.

4 Likes

I don’t, but Android Chrome seems to effectively do so behind the scenes, possibly as a mobile battery saving feature.

4 Likes

Hmm that would be annoying. I wonder would the Android app work better?

Is this already a problem with the ability to carry one hour into endgame? What about the 4 hour byo-yomi games that are currently possible on OGS?
I’d suspect people to play long games like that with opponents they (kind of) know. Is there a way to check how many of such games are challenges open to anyone?
And a more important question: Do you/we care about having tournaments like the european championship on OGS?

3 Likes

It sounded like he was expecting no max time at all, just the initial time and the increment.

2 Likes

so… real fischer then :wink:

4 Likes

One year is 8760 hours (365 x 24).
One million (1.000.000) hours is 114 years (1.000.000 : 8760 = 114)

Just factchecking you mate. Correct!

2 Likes

that was a very fascinating rabbit hole to explore, thank you

2 Likes

This seems unlikely to be a practical problem though I would suggest. I can’t believe that a troll would want to bother spending what, 1.5 hours playing and then waiting around 2 hours just to annoy a single opponent. If you are that sort of person don’t you want to get in a few more wind ups per hour than that?

Personally I don’t see the problem with uncapped Fischer time and showing a warning triangle if there is a theoretical possibility of going over some limit, say 90 minutes or something.

I’ve commented on other threads and on GitHub I think that at the very least EGF class A games should be playable on OGS. E.g 65m+5s

Edit:

I guess these games might at least sometimes be serious tournament games where the players are streaming/recording under tourney rules which might help with this objection!

1 Like

The title of this thread and the original post failed to say that this discussion is about LIVE GAMES. It would appear that the one-hour limit is OGS saying that anything more than one hour is a fast correspondence game. Is there still a problem in that light? If you want more than 1 hour, just set up the game as a correspondence game.

Smallest initial time and max time for correspondence games is 1 day. That’s ridicolous for the European Go Championship. Do we not care about that?

4 Likes

Thanks for the correction. I didn’t know about the 1 day limit. The answer might be to change that limit rather than the Live game limit.

At the same time, your gratuitous, rhetorical question is unnecessarily hostile.

1 Like