Maximum Fischer Time Settings for Live Games

This seems unlikely to be a practical problem though I would suggest. I can’t believe that a troll would want to bother spending what, 1.5 hours playing and then waiting around 2 hours just to annoy a single opponent. If you are that sort of person don’t you want to get in a few more wind ups per hour than that?

Personally I don’t see the problem with uncapped Fischer time and showing a warning triangle if there is a theoretical possibility of going over some limit, say 90 minutes or something.

I’ve commented on other threads and on GitHub I think that at the very least EGF class A games should be playable on OGS. E.g 65m+5s

Edit:

I guess these games might at least sometimes be serious tournament games where the players are streaming/recording under tourney rules which might help with this objection!

1 Like

The title of this thread and the original post failed to say that this discussion is about LIVE GAMES. It would appear that the one-hour limit is OGS saying that anything more than one hour is a fast correspondence game. Is there still a problem in that light? If you want more than 1 hour, just set up the game as a correspondence game.

Smallest initial time and max time for correspondence games is 1 day. That’s ridicolous for the European Go Championship. Do we not care about that?

4 Likes

Thanks for the correction. I didn’t know about the 1 day limit. The answer might be to change that limit rather than the Live game limit.

At the same time, your gratuitous, rhetorical question is unnecessarily hostile.

1 Like

I dream colored cursors covering from blitz to correspondance.
One cursor only for each parameter.
The color would vary from green to red (calculation taking in account all the parameters) to help to figure out not convenient or unusual settings.

So maybe there’s more of a chance to get this update if we come up with a concrete limit to increment it to.

This seems reasonably concrete.

But more so if we take the games being played now I think the settings are 1hr+30s increment.

If you blitzed the first 60 moves you could gain 30 minutes.

So I feel like even bumping the cap up to 2 hours is probably going to be reasonable?

If you blitzed a 200 move game (that is 100 moves) you’re still only gaining about 50 minutes, so 2 hours isn’t sounding unreasonable to me.

Again looking at @teapoweredrobot’s quotes from above.

1 Like

Thanks for the hint, I’ve updated the title and my original post.

No hostility intended, but I stated in my original post, that this is an issue for an EGF tournament (which is btw ongoing) and this seems to be ignored by the counter-arguments I’ve read here. Anyway I tend to ask such questions to figure out the common ground, because misunderstandings are too common, especially on the internet.

2 Likes

The limit between correspondance and live time is a bit hard to fix and opinion may vary a lot.
In mine, as long as the game doesn’t become a visit for a few moves every now and then, the game is a live game. So a 2hr/player game can surely be live or even a 4hr with a lunch break.

Even I consider these 2 days games of famous japanese pro titles to be in the live category.

4 Likes

A consideration is that there are malicious escapers who will leave the tab open in order to evade the disconnection clock. These clowns are more common than one might think.

Is it practicable to create a special category of settings just for events such as EGF games?

Well i always feel bad when the few bad apples conduct OGS to restrict access to features that others may enjoy.

You can consider that strong player could want to train in a game with the same time setting as the one used in a tournament next. For example. Or two 13k who want to try a half day game to replicate serious games and think more on each move.

2 Likes

If one wanted to prevent that, it would be possible to allow long time settings like this only for live games where players directly challenge each other. But as I do not know how common such trolling is, I’m not sure it would be worth the work.

1 Like

I just think this is a risk with taking. These games will mostly be used between people who know each other or for real tournament pairing.

And honestly how much worse would it be than now? Play a few moves and wait an hour is the case now, play a few moves and wait an hour and and a minute or less. The difference is marginal. To make it annoying (build up a lot of time) the troll would need to be playing for quite a while before stopping with tab open. Does that really happen?

I just don’t think this is a good reason not to enable a proper range of game options on ogs.

(If we were really worried about game settings that are open to abuse we’d not have simple 3s, absolute 30s and stuff like that)

4 Likes

If the initial time were two hours it might be twice as bad.

Still not bad enough not to implement though!

2 Likes

Byo-yomi currently allows 4 hour main time, so it’s just half as bad.

4 Likes

I’d like to increase that, as well. If someone wants to play a game with 36 hours main time and adjournments, I think they should be able to.

One issue at a time :slightly_smiling_face:

Doesn’t that fall within the correspondence settings at the moment?

There’s a 1day + 12 hours option for main time.

If you want an adjournment you can pause the game :slight_smile:

(I guess the problem would be having a non correspondence increment - I think if one is drawing a line between live and correspondence though, games over a day long aren’t really “live”. I know the Japanese tournaments might be classified differently if they’re in two sittings, but really they don’t have 36 hours time to use.)

What about those historical 30h absolute time games?

1 Like

What are they? I’m not sure what they are :slight_smile: Pro games or historical OGS games?