Meaning of global rank?

Hello everyone,

I am quite new on OGS, having played only around 30 games.

However, I don’t quite grasp the meaning of the global rank. I do understand that there are different ranks for different types of play (blitz, correspondence, live) but how is the global rank calculated ?

For example, I am 13k in live, 17k in correspondence, and 19k in blitz. Yet, my global rank is 11k…

If I start a game in live against a 10k for example, I will probably have 3 handicap stones because it will take into account my live level, right ? But then what is the point of the global rank if it’s not used in matchmaking ? Honnestly, I would be uneasy to call myself “a 11 kyu” if someone asks for my level when the best rank I achieved in any game format is 13kyu…

Any thoughts about this ?

The whole system is in the process of being completely overhauled as they’re upgrading from Elo to Glicko-2 (just a slightly more intricate rating system that factors in a confidence level for each rank).

Last official word I heard was that it should be going live sometime in the next week or two so, basically, all of your questions will be moot by that point.

So, sit back and relax! I believe the new system rollout will be accompanied by a site-wide post explaining the change and its impacts :slight_smile:

Also, after perusing your account, given how steeply you have increased your rank with no signs yet of the progress leveling off. I don’t think it’s much of a stretch to say that your “true rank” would easily be somewhere in SDK.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your answer !

I will be patient then ! :slight_smile:

1 Like