Mild annoyances about Go - add your own :-)

1. I did not read through all of that, you’ll excuse me. I’ll admit I posted a thread about a subject already mentioned, tho.
  2. When I saw a link in your reply, it crossed my mind that you were rickrolling me.
2 Likes

Found it!

8 Likes

If we’re going to advocate for using an Asian word for the game, wouldn’t it make more sense to go with weiqi rather than baduk considering the game was invented in China?

4 Likes

It would, but:

1. I’m learning Korean so I’m biased :slight_smile:
  2. It hurts to think how many more options to mispronounce are offered by weiqi, compared to baduk.

I would support either, honestly.

2 Likes

Go is already a loanword from the Japanese “igo” which can be shortened to “go” if context makes it clear. Japanese was a natural source since cultural exchange with Japan played a very large role in introducing and popularizing the game outside of East Asia.

Baduk could also be mispronounced. For a long time, I thought it was like “bah-duck”, but it turns out to be closer to “bah-duke”. Also, I think the “B” sound is somewhat like a “P” sound in Korean. Maybe the differences between the consonants are not quite the same as in English?

4 Likes

I suppose we could go with the original name 弈 (yì), but that seems weird since it’s not used in China

Interestingly enough, 碁 is another of the ancient Chinese names of Go. It has fallen out of usage though, which makes it even more interesting that it’s still used in Japan

I was indeed aware of this and would have preferred it to have remained igo rather than being changed into the English word go. Go seems like such an odd name for the game at least with igo you can differentiate it from a random English word.

6 Likes

No one is annoyed by anything else Go-related?..

2 Likes

I can’t help but roll my eyes when people try to make Go into some spiritual/mystical experience.

Sure, I can appreciate the beauty of the simplicity mixed with complexity, but it’s just a game. I find the reverence with which a lot of players view it laughable.

5 Likes

As I recall, another version of the Batman meme features the following exchange:

But…I took a point away from my opponent.
It was aji keshi!

4 Likes

I don’t know about that but isn’t Go how China does all its warfare? :wink:

2 Likes

If I mentioned my mild annoyance, I would probably be annoyed by the responses. No thanks.

5 Likes

I always thought the English name for the game should be called “Life”, 'cause that’s what it’s kinda about.

2 Likes

This is a minor annoyance about how Go is depicted in manga / anime.

You know how they show someone is about to lay down a stone and their body is surrounded by this glowing fire like they’re planning some kind of Dragonball Z HADOUKEN / Divine Move / shoot a flaming fireball or something:

A1

And then they place their stone down on a star point to begin the game.

I mean, I get it - it’s a well-worn trope, and it’s hard to communicate the intensity of playing Go in a visual medium, but it still bugs me every time.

10 Likes

Doesn’t this happen for you? :frowning:

Still works for me when I’m playing seriously. Especially in real life.

8 Likes

I got tired of having to put out the fire in my hair every time I put down a stone :wink:

5 Likes

You know what, I liked and took the like back, 'cause it’s f-o-o-t-b-a-l-l. :yum:

1 Like

well then, @tonybe you’re going to love this :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPDVor_g4sA

5 Likes

hahaha - yes, exactly :wink:

2 Likes

legitimately one of my favourite Go videos :heart:

2 Likes

Kosh - do you do that thing where stick out your hand, holding your stone up at eye level, and stare menacingly at your opponent like “This hoshi is going to $%#& you UP!!!”

Because that would be boss, yo

6 Likes