Mild annoyances about Go - add your own :-)

I’m mildly annoyed that the term that caught on in the “West” is Go and not baduk, so whenever I google something I have to wade through pages of results about Pokémon and Counterstrike.

17 Likes

Glad to hear you are only mildly annoyed about this. :rage:

14 Likes

A pro tip: by adding -something (minus followed by a keyword) you can tell google to ignore results connected with those words.

Just add -counterstrike -pokemon

12 Likes

Additionally, even the Japanese usually say Igo instead of Go, so it actually makes not a lot of sense that we just call it one of the most common words in the English language.

10 Likes

I know, but it doesn’t always work, since it’s usually csgo, cs:go, Pokémon with accent or not etc. Thanks tho :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: you can’t imagine my frustration trying to find Greek results (I was looking for a local vendor to buy a goban).

5 Likes

And then there’s Google who called their new programming “go” … FFS… people who work at a search engine came up with that!!!

16 Likes

Using either ‘baduk’ or ‘weiqi’ is still often a safe bet.

5 Likes

I do, I even use 바둑 if I’m feeling fancy, but it’s still annoying.

5 Likes

There a go meme about this that I’m never going to be able to find. The batman and robin one…

2 Likes

Yeah we should reall start calling it Surroundaroo like some guy on reddit proposed. /s

12 Likes

Yeah I usually just search for Weiqi. Searching for Go is a complete waste of time. I have complained about the English name “go” since I started playing. Glad I’m not the only one.

4 Likes

What are you searching for in the first place?

Btw, “go game” without quotes gives me only go-related results on google.

4 Likes

It’s not something specific, it’s an ongoing thing.
Sometimes I think the algorithm takes into account my past searches, sometimes it does its own thing.

Also, I’ve found that using go, weiqi and baduk gives different results, especially when I’m searching for a combined result (think “go t-shirt”, not actual example, but if go were baduk mainly, wouldn’t our lives be so much easier?).

2 Likes

It also mildly annoys me when go/ baduk/ weiqi is translated as “chess”.

2 Likes

That’s because the symbol 棋 is used both for go and for chess. A go player and a chess player are the same thing.

3 Likes

Nobody lets me vent in peace in here. :roll_eyes: (:yum:)

2 Likes

Ooohhhhh, expect people to come for you.

6 Likes

now, when these words are on OGS, OGS will not be googled :slight_smile:

there is kanji for Go only 碁

big

baduk

3 Likes

I know, but quite often it isn’t used in go related words, e.g. 棋士 or 日本棋院, also in Chinese: weiqi is 圍棋 / 围棋, ‘enclosing chess’.

Actually, on further research, 碁 is only used in Japanese, it seems

4 Likes

To avoid this issue, I’ve proposed in the past to rename the game to “fortnite”.

Warning: that linked thread is a whole can of worms.

3 Likes