The little pleasures of go: add your own 😄

As a reaction to @Gia’s mild annoyances thread
Mild annoyances about Go - add your own :-) let’s focus on the positive things in go life.

It is always much more easy to find something negative than positive, so this is a challenge to you. I know you can do it.

Who will be the first to share something small but enjoyable of go?

6 Likes

The pleasure you feel when - after a deep reading - you realize that that move works.
The sound of the stone placed on the (real) goban is different! :grin:

8 Likes

Winning a hard-fought game by a narrow margin.

8 Likes

To leave my hand in the go bowl

7 Likes

Discovering a tesuji on your own

6 Likes

I like the visual aesthetic of the stones on the board, especially in the middle-to-early-end game when it is unresolved, yearning for examination and discovery of meaning in black and white dots.

6 Likes

Finding a dead group while kibbitzing a stronger players game.
Killing a group in your handicap simultaneous game against a pro player (was a bit more as “little” pleasure)

5 Likes

I’ll settle for being shown a tesuji by a book or stronger player and going “oh that works” and probably “wow”.

2 Likes

Having an opponent compliment a move I made when reviewing after a game

11 Likes

Making all the moves in my correspondence games and waiting for one of my opponents to make a move.

4 Likes

Killing a group that I was sure to be alive.

But also...

Reading Go Menes

4 Likes

a1
CONAN: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, etc :wink:

6 Likes

Playing a move in the opening phase you regret at once and that bugs you for the rest of the game. And then suddenly in the (late) endgame it turns out to be useful after all.

7 Likes

Draughts is pretty easy, or hex, or gomoku, or dots & boxes, or othello / reversi. I’d say most of those have even simpler rules than go, yet none of them seem as complex strategically.

It’s the combination of the simplicity of go with the complexity of go strategy that makes it good. It’s like the perfect balance.

5 Likes

Amazons has a really good complexity/simplicity ratio. The rules are arguably simpler than go, but it’s quite a deep game. Of course I don’t think it beats go, but definitely worth checking out for those who like interesting games with simple rules!

8 Likes

To add something more on topic:

Finding people who want to play fun go variants with you :smiley:

6 Likes

Here’s Elwyn Berlekamp explaining Amazons:

5 Likes

Elwyn also made an introduction to Amazons on his own YouTube channel, which goes into a little bit more detail on the mathematically interesting parts:

6 Likes

Playing out book positions onto a real board in a quiet place, with the aid of a beer or two.

Finishing a game with a player you thought was a stranger, looking in your history and realising that the two of you played a game before, often years ago; and then looking over that game and chuckling at your old mistakes, and suggesting better ways to play.

Watching an old youtube video of a twitch stream, having forgotten that you were ever in the chat; thinking about an aspect of the position, you’re surprised when your past self pops up to ask the very question that was on your mind.

5 Likes

I don’t actually need the book position :innocent:

1 Like