Miscellaneous trivia, riddles, puzzles and other games

A trivia question who is the best Brawl stars player that is a SDK .
Level :brutal

How should one fill the rest of the board with colorful stones?

Demo board

2 Likes
Spoiler

Like this.

1 Like

Another one, different kind of puzzle:

Demo board

1 Like

What are the rules for filing the colors? Can not similar color stones be far apart? how similar is a similar color or different?

It’s a puzzle, that’s for you to find out :slight_smile:

Does it means I can make anything up?

No, it has a unique solution, since it’s a puzzle.

But, as stated, @yebellz’ puzzle is different from my puzzle.

It looks like some sort of multi-color Go, each different color players have to play one color and then the next. And looks like different colors cannot touch each other.

The puzzle from @yebellz is more confusing since it doesn’t seem to have an atari rule, or it would need to be applied after the board is filled? Or it’s a point system, different location has a different value?

Here are a series of hints the progressively spoil more information about the puzzle that I posted yesterday.

Spoiler Hint

@Vsotvep correctly answered my puzzle. My puzzle has a distinct set of rules that are clearly inconsistent with the pattern of his puzzle.

Spoiler Hint

Despite the aesthetics, my puzzle has nothing to do with Go. Leaving some stones without liberties was intentional in order to show that regular Go mechanics do not apply.

Spoiler Hint

The solution of my puzzle requires filling the entire board with colored stones.

Spoiler Hint

My puzzle might be considered a bit contrived, since it really does not provide enough information (by itself) to explain how to fill up the board, but instead requires one to recall and apply the rules of another very well-known class of puzzles.

Spoiler Hint

My specific puzzle is just one specific instance out of a very large class of puzzles. With knowledge of the rules, this particular instance is relatively easy, but still takes maybe at least a few minutes to work out.

Huge Spoiler Hint Nearly Revealing the Crux to the Puzzle

Maybe one might call this Godoku

1 Like

Some hints for my puzzle

Spoiler Hint

Like yebellz puzzle, all intersections should be filled

Spoiler Hint

The number of stones for each colour in the solution to yebellz’ puzzle is the same as in my puzzle.

Spoiler Hint

No solution of a puzzle of yebellz’ kind can ever be a solution to a puzzle of my kind.

Spoiler Hint

G7 can impossibly be Green, because of the location of the other Green stones

Spoiler Hint

F8 must be Black

Similarly Huge Spoiler Hint Revealing the Crux to the Puzzle

Maybe one might call this Gonomino.

1 Like
Spoiler

Solution

I must admit that I read a few hints (beforehand, I had the right idea at some point, but discarded it because I didn’t think it would yield a unique solution :woman_facepalming:)

2 Likes

Long time since the last puzzle. Here’s a new one:

The Pursuit of Happiness

The customer was getting visibly impatient with the fortune-teller’s vagueness.

—Yes, we all know that 2019 was the last happy year!—they said—I don’t really wanna talk about politics or pandemics; I meant in the future, not the past.

—Hmmm, I understand—the fortune-teller replied, musing his own thoughts—This year is election season and that is no good. I think we should wait four more years, 2026 is another genuinely happy number.

—Alright, forget about happiness—said the customer—Please, just tell me the lucky winners for the lottery and I’ll be on my way.

—Oh, lucky numbers!—The fortune-teller started excitedly pulling all manner of stuff up the sleeves of his purple robe—That’s very simple. We’ll need a sieve, and a pencil, and…

—I… I don’t have time for this. Are you really a numerologist???

Azemelius felt a little hurt by this question.

—Well, I do teach numbers to kids in school—he defended himself—See? I even came in cosplay for the vaccination campaign.

The customer stood up and gave a forced smile beneath their face mask.

—Thanks, have a nice day.

They left without paying.

• How many more happy years will there be before the end of the century?
    (Bonus: How many before the end of all life on Earth in the year 4 billion A.D.?)

• The customer filled their lottery ticket with numbers 4, 13, 44, 77 and 99. How many numbers did they get correctly?

1 Like

Guesses: 11 and 1.

Interesting. I wonder what might be thinking of :thinking:, but those answers are not the solutions I intended.

Here is my suggestion (for everyone): Using Google, Wikipedia, OEIS, etc. is not cheating in my eyes.

Here are my suggestions for jlt (SPOILER)
  • 11 is not that far off. Maybe you made some miscalculations?
  • Your second guess is interesting because I don't know which exactly you think is right.
    It is possible that by coincidence there is one number with two different properties at the same time.

P.S. Please use this formula to hide any further guesses (just copy and paste).

<details>
<summary>SPOILER</summary>
write your answers here
</details>

Spoiler

I am not sure of my answers. For the first question, since 2026-2019=7, I considered all numbers 2021<n<2011 such that n-2019 is a multiple of 7.

For the second question, I supposed it was Eratosthenes’ sieve so the correct number was 13.

For @jlt

SPOILER Using 7 year gaps is an interesting one. I like it, but not the answer I intended. What I intended is a completely different concept.

In the second one you’re closer. In that case I’ll tell you that indeed the sieve of Eratosthenes is something you use to get prime numbers, however, prime numbers are not the only ones that are calculated using sieves. There are other different kinds of sieves for different kinds of numbers (in fact there’s a whole sieve theory, but that’s another topic hehe :sweat_smile:).

OK I see the answer to the second question

Lucky numbers

13 and 99 are lucky numbers.

1 Like
Spoiler for question 1

And assuming I didn’t make a programming error, the list of happy numbers between 2022 and 2100 is
2026, 2030, 2036, 2039, 2062, 2063, 2080, 2091, 2093.

1 Like

For @jlt

SPOILER Dang it! Where did I put that old piece of code!? Nevermind, let's redo it.

Your answers coincide with mine, so I think that is correct.

The bonus question is not entirely trivial though. You’d need some clever trick so that it doesn’t take several hours to solve (at least with slow Python, maybe it’s peanuts for C, C++). But there are ways to solve it that take merely seconds.