Misleading heading

I don’t find anything exceptional in what we do. We have online meetings to play go with each other and communicate in the group chat. Is that so weird?

My main suggestion is removing the word ‘chat’ as a heading for something which is not related to chat. That’s why the title of the thread is “Misleading heading”: because there is a heading which is misleading. I don’t see why no one except @uberdude seems to understand a very simple proposition, spelt out practically in words of one syllable, with illustration.

Your original post was unclear to several posters here, so you are in no position to give lessons on English style. This is a multilingual community in which many speakers of English as a second or third or fourth language do very well in general in their command of English. People of goodwill politely ignore occasional solecisms.

4 Likes

Thanks Conrad to let me learn a new word (solecism)

6 Likes

I don’t think that the word chat is so unappropriate when it shows how many players registered in the group are online. These players are the ones who will be alerted for each new message, so who potentially may answer or contribute. No objection if a better name can be found, but i won’t change the design itself.

2 Likes

What was unclear? If somebody were to ask for clarification I would clarify. Uberdude has understood perfectly.

Of course, I ignore solecisms by foreigners, but if I don’t understand what they’re saying I will try to find out. Your name sounds English. How do you interpret “Isn’t it enough and even more convenient to […] be noticed when someone write something?”

Having written that I have now decided Groin probably meant, by “be noticed”, “be given notice”. It’s not my fault if I don’t understand bad English. That’s not to say I expect perfect English, even from the English. As long as the meaning is clear (which it wasn’t to me), mistakes don’t bother me. Why shouldn’t I ask what something I don’t understand means?

Just going to point out that you didn’t actually ask for clarification. You just said it’s ungrammatical and unclear.

3 Likes

But it is related to chat: it’s exactly those users who can be expected to receive a notification immediately when you write something in the chat, and those users who may be able to immediately respond.

By the way, this behaviour is the same as on, for example, Discord, Slack, Facebook (and probably a bunch more of such applications) where users show online regardless of whether they are looking at Discord or having the application open in the background. The thing that counts is whether a user is in a position to receive a notification, or if they currently do not have the application open (in the background or not).

4 Likes

You are just being pendantic now.

Note that Uberdude’s proposal above is not the same as yours:

• @Uberdude suggested that we could remove the total number of OGS users online. I agree that this doesn’t seem to be useful information. At least in the context of a chat it does not seem useful, so I’m not sure why this is included.

• Your proposal however would be to limit the “in-chat” number to people actually having the chat window open, rather than the number of users from this group who are currently online. I don’t really understand this: if a person is online, he/she will be notified of new comments whether or not they have the chat window open (which they might not be looking at anyway).

If your issue is just to clarify the wording, fair enough, but that’s not gonna change the system.

1 Like

Ok, I’m not very sure about the notifications. I usually keep the chat page open in a tab, which possibly means I don’t get notifications. I will have to look into that. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, I hadn’t factored in the notifications. I need to think about the subject again. Regarding total users online, I agree it doesn’t need to be there. I didn’t mention it because I didn’t want to distract from the main issue

There are settings for chat notifications you might check.

Yes, I’ve seen them, thanks. Sorry I criticised your English. With the name ‘Groin’ I thought you must be English. What’s your first language? I see you give your nationality as Tristan de Cunha, but maybe that’s just a little joke? Anyway, I hope you have taken on board the difference between being noticed and being notified about something?

That’s me :wink:

Z

7 Likes

lol

1 Like

This should not matter, as I’ve just tested. If you have notifications turned on, the chat will prompt the following blue icon to notify you of a new unread message:

2 Likes

@StevenageTony
Honestly i feel more confortable with benjito pendantism as with your way to talk to others (including him)
My english is not perfect but how long did you need to assimilate the existence of notifications?

Tell me where is the starfleet country.

5 Likes

I’ve no idea what the starfleet country is. Should I? Will it help me play go or run a go club?

How do you mean? I have seen speech bubble notifications, but I’m usually too busy to spend time trying to find out exactly how they work. I might RTFM if there was a FM to R. I don’t really like having to try and work things out as I go. That’s for young people.

Ok so about starfleet and flags, it’s just that it’s a simple option we have to put a flag on our profile. If that’s your country is up to you.

I can share your lack of interest for those young people things but you know we have to follow to not stay aside. I could quote myself from the beginning of the thread, trying to explain that, thanks to the notification system, you don’t have to sit in front of a chat page and just do what you want, you’ll get a notification if someone comes.

So you keep contact, see? And let me guess that 99% of players will prefer this way as staying watching a chat room.
Exception could be some important meeting where the big chief want everyone to stay focus there and that he can check that everyone is here.

On my groin name, well, all is already said in some forum threads with a little bit of searching, have fun!

7 Likes

The profile picture is a big hint

7 Likes