Misleading heading

I have done an experiment with a colleague today and I believe it is correct to say that even if you click on ‘Leave channel’ or use the mini-hamburger to switch to a different channel, your name will still be shown as ‘in chat’ in the channel for the group of which you are a member. This is contrary to the information given in docs & faq under ‘Chat Room’ (sorry, unable to pick up the link) where a diagram indicates that the list is “LIST OF USERS CURRENTLY CONNECTED TO THE CHANNEL”.

1 Like

In that case, perhaps the group chats are already functioning differently than the language channels. It suggests that the group chat shows people in the group, while the language channels show people who have not used the Leave button. The alternative is that the Leave button doesn’t work at all.

No. As I have discoverd today, the English channel doesn’t have options for notifications on the settings button for the channel, only ‘Leave Channel’. I thought clicking that would deliver me back to our group chat, but in fact, I’ve just tested it and it put me on to the German channel. Asking to leave that delivered me to the French channel. I suppose it is moving me to the next most popular channel or something?

I can’t really say what the names shown in the language channel are, but they are also under the heading ‘CHAT’ if that is of the slightest assistance in deciding.

It’s a shame that that isn’t mentioned in the documentation about group chat. I might have understood the whole system better if that had been made clear to me earlier.

Do you mean pendantry?

1 Like

At least Merriam-Webster and Collins seem to recognise pedantism as a word

6 Likes

I believe I explained how it worked here already, including that it simply lists people that are members of the group and simultaneously online.

But I can appreciate that it may sometimes be hard to digest information while being agitated. With all respect, you would be able to achieve a lot more in this entire discussions if you would have a positive, constructive attitude towards what you perceive as problematic, instead of constantly complaining in a patronising manner.

6 Likes

Interesting. Thanks. I hadn’t heard that usage before. Of course it’s irrelevant because really I was just teasing Groin about his accepting and developing my (intentional, humorous) solecism, “pendantic” (for pedantic). Apparently, he didn’t realize what @benjito was drawing attention to in his illustrated reply. It just goes to show that “picking things up as you go along” isn’t necessarily the best way to improve skills. Sometimes reference books help.

Pendantic is even not a word, but maybe my english level makes me miss some joke?
Adding a “n” doesn’t create a solecism either, you should read that definition as i did.
All what you get is not smiles and interest but boredom from players coming to contribute. Unconscious trolling?
I see overconfidence and lack of curiosity at least.
You come tease me when everyone is avoiding to tease you, everyone trying to accept that your question is an interesting one that could be adressed. Before you, no one ever complain or suggest on this design and you missed half of it by negligence. Why? Because all should be as you imagine even if you’re wrong. And what more? You have a rude way to communicate. Talking of me at the third person “he” is rude when you know i will be here and read. Pretending to give me a lesson even more.

Anyway i will never follow you as a teacher again.

And please no need to reply, if you can’t restrain yourself , send me a pm.

Can’t imagine why you responded to an old post that had already been updated by my subsequent post that acknowledged your discovery. This is the kind of thing that causes unproductive confusion in the conversation.

1 Like

If you can be more specific, I will try and explain

No thanks. I am afraid things will become even more confused, and I have reached my limit for unproductive time today.

6 Likes

Yes, thank you. Unfortunately that thread was poisoned by consideration of irrelevancies concerning a (former) group member and got closed early, so although I learnt enough from you (as I said at the time) to understand what the criterion was for listing a name in a group chat page, I didn’t get time to mull over the whole question and work out what it was really that I found confusing.

I feel confident that I now understand exactly how the name list works for group chats, together with notifications, but I still need to investigate a little about the list of names in public chat channels (like English). Hopefully this thread will remain open long enough for me to do that and then draw my conclusions about the question of whether or not the heading is in fact misleading and if so, what would be better.

Thanks again for your help.

Edit: typos

Actually, I am now wondering what happens if I am a member of two groups and someone writes an entry in each. Will the chat notification show ‘2’? And if I click on it where will it take me? (Since I’m only a member of my own group, I’m always delivered to the chat page for that group if I click on the speech bubble.)

Yes, and it will show you a list where you can click on which of the group chats you want to join.

2 Likes

Thanks. In fact I did some more tests last night with a colleague who is a member of more than one group and he was able to explain this to me.

The tests were very inconclusive when it comes to deciding exactly what will make a name appear in the list for any particular (public) channel. It seems that one’s name will remain in a list, having once selected that channel even after selecting a different channel or even clicking on ‘leave channel’, but closing OGS will remove one’s name from the channel’s list. It seems one must always be connected to at least one public channel (with English as the default channel everyone is assigned to on joining OGS?). However, it’s not totally clear to me exactly what it means to be “connected” to a channel, since during our experiments, while I had the English chat page open, my colleague noted that my name was also apparent in various other channel lists, all channels I had opened (‘connected to’?) at some time or other. However, after getting my name dropped from the English channel by closing OGS, opening another chat channel did not cause my name to appear in the list for English. I think this is an accurate summary of the results of our tests, but it is hard to be sure as I didn’t take notes and there doesn’t seem to be a logical scheme they followed. I welcome any further explanation you can give about listing and delisting in public channels and exactly what it means to ‘connect’ to (and disconnect from, or ‘leave’) a channel.

To sum up, I would like to make the following suggestions:

1. Remove from the heading in question the number showing total users online. This is not useful information in context and could be more usefully shown, perhaps, on one’s home page, which is where one is first delivered on signing in or opening OGS, where it could be interesting.

2. Remove the word ‘chat’ from the heading. I think that is only there to provide contrast to the total online. The context of the page is, in any case ‘chat’.

3. In the case where the page is for a group, rather than a public chat channel, it would be enough to have a heading “Online: n”, where n is the number of group members online (i.e. the number currently shown next to the word ‘chat’) and a list of the user names of the group members currently online (same as now).

4. It’s hard to know whether such a heading would also be appropriate to the chat page for a public group since I am still not clear about how one comes to be on the list and in what circumstances exactly one is removed from such a list, other than going offline. If going offline is indeed the only way one’s name is removed from such a list, then the suggested heading is valid. This, however, raises the issue of the function of the ‘Leave channel’ button.

5. In the documentation for chats, there should be added some information about chat notifications.

You can easily do that yourself. All you need is a github account.

And this is the chapter where you could add your contribution.

Succes!

3 Likes

This is a bit glib, isn’t it? It would probably be truer to say that getting a GitHub account is the first step in doing that. In fact, I already have an account with GitHub, because when I tried to report what I thought was a bug, I was told that bugs have to be reported in GitHub. I signed up and found I had no idea how to go about reporting the bug or how to find out.

SImilarly, I did go the the page about chat rooms and sign in today but I didn’t see how to tell the system I wanted to edit the page. In any case I wouldn’t find it easy to create useful illustrations.

I would prefer to leave the edits to someone who is already familiar with the environment. I have already spent quite a lot of my time on this matter to the detriment of other parts of my life and I now want to catch up in other areas. I hope that others will find what I have written useful and that those most able to will take action to help avoid others being confused by the heading in the way that I was.