Misleading heading

Title line; to the right.
There you can create a new page or to edit an already existing page.

Ofc you have to be logged in at Github.

Thanks for your kind assistance, but I’m really not going to spend time getting to know and use a new environment. I see you’ve done 43 edits on that page already, so must be a piece of pie for you by now. …

@Gia help!

What do we say now? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s a piece of pie for anyone :joy: let’s just thank @Atorrante for taking good care of the wiki so far and leave it at that

4 Likes

Thank you for bringing us rengo, but I’m not so thankful as to put my hand in this fire. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

For the sake of non-native English users who are wondering about the phrase ‘piece of pie’, I was using it as a euphemism for a well-known slang expression (‘Piece of cake’ would probably have been better, as that is an existing non-taboo phrase with the same meaning)

Okay. If you send me the text that you want to have added, then I will see to it that the wiki is edited. Deal?

1 Like

As much as it equally amuses and despairs me to watch this pointlessly long thread, rather than keeping the confusing user interface that then needs documentation to explain what it really means, surely it would be better to improve the UI so it’s obvious and intuitive and then you don’t even need clarifying documentation.

1 Like

Better? Of course!

Easier? Not at all…

Website UI/UX is a VERY challenging field that not many people are good at. Critically, none of the paid or volunteer web devs that work on OGS currently excel at it.

If you or someone you know is exceptionally good at website UI/UX, feel free to invite them to work on a full site redesign with anoek.

2 Likes

Rude lol

3 Likes

We would all freely admit it :rofl: also, you’re in the wrong thread :wink:

2 Likes

See my post near the beginning.

If you’re offering to redesign the whole site, not just one chat header, feel free to submit some PRs on GitHub :slightly_smiling_face:

I have a feeling if you could you would have by now. I don’t think you’re lacking in any motivation or passion for the site :heart:

1 Like

Why not just changing the chat header though?

Not that I can do it, but not sure why it’s all or nothing :smiley:

2 Likes

Why are you talking about redesigning the whole site? Talk about scope creep and preventing incremental improvements. This thread is just about the sidebar title, which would be better with just deleting a couple misleading words and numbers.

4 Likes

Changing one thing at a time isn’t terrible. It’s just how we get to where we are right now :man_shrugging: a lot of systems that made sense at the time to whoever wrote it, but that don’t necessarily integrate well with the whole site.

You can fix this one thing if you want, just submit a PR.

1 Like

Ok, I would tentatively suggest the following:

The section headed “Chat Room” currently ends:

“The right column lists the users currently connected to the active room.”

I would amend this to "The right column lists the users currently connected to the active room (public chat) or all group members currently online (group chat).

Then, following that, I would suggest the following text and illustrations:

"Whenever you add chat to group chat, all* members of the group will receive a chat notification at the speech bubble in the taskbar, like this:

[partial screen shot showing the chat notification lit up with a number]

When you click on the speech bubble, the group chat page will open and the notifications will be cleared.

If you are a member of more than one group and chat has been added to the chat for more than one of those groups, the cumulative total number of messages will show at the speech bubble and when you click on it, a display will open with a line for each group and the number of chat messages added to each, like this:

[Illustration of such a display]

Clicking on one of the group lines will clear chat notifications for that group and you will be delivered to the relevant group’s chat page.

You do not get chat notifications from public chat channels, but when you open the chat for a public channel the display on the left-hand side of the screen will highlight in blue any chat channels to which you are connected** and to which messages have been added since your last visit, together with a number showing how many. (Note:- on mobile, to get this display, you need to tap the small hamburger to the left of the channel name near the top of the screen.)

[Illustration of public chat page showing a list of public channels, some of which have had chat added and so are highlighted in blue with a number]."

*I haven’t tested, so I’m not sure if you only get chat notifications when you’re online or whether they will appear when you do go online. Text should reflect the actual functionality.

** As I explained, I’m still a little hazy on exactly what it means to “be connected” to a public channel and what can terminate that connection, so I hope what I have written is correct.

I added @StevenageTony 's suggestions to the wiki page.

Trimmed the text a bit and added no illustrations (because I am not active in the group chat).

So what do you think about it?
And any one willing to add a few illustrations to this paragraph?

I honestly would have waited for feedback on the suggested text here before publishing, but since you’ve done it:

Edits:

1. Strike duplication of “The right column lists the users currently connected to the active room” at the beginning of the added text.

2. Start new para with “Whenever you add chat”. Don’t just run into it from the previous text.

3. Strike “**” in last para (that was only to direct you to a footnote about my suggestion)

4. “Clicking on one of the group lines” should be the start of a new para (ideally preceded by a suitable illustration, as above).

Thanks for implementing the edits as described. Reading through, I realise there was a small mistake in my text (actually a hangover from the pre-existing text): At the beginning, (just below the colour-coding explanation), it says: “The right column […]”. This is a mistake. The correct English is “The right-hand column” (or “The column on the right”).

Of course since the new taskbar was implemented a few weeks ago, the first illustration, with the ‘chat’ option highlighted in the (old) taskbar, is now out of date.

Edit: typos

1 Like