Motivation

Does anyone have any good ideas about how to stay motivated and not become discouraged?

I’m currently trying this advice: if you win, play someone your rank or one higher. If you lose, play someone one or two ranks lower.

This way, you should have a reasonable win rate, you are sharing experience downwards and gaining experience upwards and in theory having a balanced and rewarding time.

I’ve only just started, so I can’t swear it works, but I’m hoping…

2 Likes

Do something different. When you’re sick of playing, practice tsumego. When you’re sick of tsumego, read theory books. When the books become tedious, replay pro games or watch a video. This is all assuming that you do have time that you want to spend on Go :slight_smile:

Be methodical. Turn your game into a flawless routine that can keep you going even if you do lose interest mid-way. Opening reportoires, rote-learned endgame miai values, midgame priority checklists, in-your-head time limits (count seconds).

Get a teacher or sparring partner or a rival who can motivate you.

2 Likes

Keep perspective; don’t be afraid of taking a week off every now and again. It’s supposed to be fun!

3 Likes

Go for a walk

2 Likes