Music question

@Haze_with_a_Z, @tonybe, @You_Know_Me, @mark5000, @yebellz

I like you all very much, and thank you for taking the time to reply, but I don’t want to learn anything more than I already know. The same as how I am with Go. I don’t want to learn the A, B, C system, or chords, or devote studying time.
Google gives me sheets with the results I mentioned above and these don’t work for me.

No wonder you are all good at what you do, but please don’t forget I’m a lowly form. :slight_smile:

(Still like all of you very much and thank you).

4 Likes

That looks awful in my eyes, though.

There is one flat, namely B-flat, and it calls the D a “re”, which implies that D is the supertonic. Hence the “re re fa fa” etc. implies that the piece is written in the C-mixolydian mode.

However, the first notes that are written are clearly a D-minor chord (D F A), which makes sense, because having one flat (B-flat) is indeed correct for D-minor. But then D is the tonic, so it should say “do do mi mi so so”, and not “re re fa fa la la”.

If I were your music teacher, I’d recommend another book :wink:

3 Likes

I agree with you. At the same time, it looks like @Gia just needs fun sheet music with solfege tacked on in C major, even if the song is in another key. Since that’s the case, I can’t offer any help. I tried Googling solfege songs to no avail, and I’ve not seen anything like it in my years in music school.

My recommendation to Gia is to write it yourself. Find a song that you might enjoy, and write under each note using this conversion chart: http://thepracticeroom.net/solfege.php

Good luck!

3 Likes

About 30 years ago, at school, we learned a bit of music and C (as I now know) was do, D was re etc. This I didn’t forget and is easy for me to read and for my fingers to go to the right keys without even looking, especially if I’ve played the song a few times or know the melody. ABC is new, and I don’t want to learn a new language.

Please don’t hate me for being a disapppointment. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Validation is a silver lining, it’s not just me, they’re not easy to find. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I showed this to my father (a professional orchestra musician), who explained to me that in some countries (notably France, Italy, Spain, etc), they actually use “do = C”, “re = D” etc. I didn’t know this, because, well, I learnt that there was a difference between the usage of the two things.

So it seems I’ll have to take back at least partially what I said above. You might therefore have more luck searching for your music in some Romance language! :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, don’t search for it in German, they call the B-flat / ti-flat a B and the B / ti an H…

4 Likes

Thank father V for saving me. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Still, you’ll only handicap yourself for later. Bad habits are hard to forget.

Music notation is very efficient, and way more versatile than writing the names of the notes themselves. Learning how to read them costs effort, but it will be totally worth it if you want to be able to play anything (including things where the names of the notes are not written below the note).

2 Likes

One option would be to use the program Synthesia, which takes in a .midi file for each song and will show you the notes as they’re being played. You can also hook up your keyboard through midi to play along in program, but that’s not necessary. It has support to display the Do-Re-Mi labels as well. It’s pretty easy to start this way, especially since you don’t need to learn how to read sheet music. Depending on your goals, you’ll probably still want to learn to read sheet music so you don’t become completely dependent on Synthesia, but that’s up to you. It can be tried for free so I figured I’d throw it in as an option.

3 Likes

Borrowing from your previous example, that’s why I avoided romanization from the start and focused on Hangeul. But if someone just wants to sing “saranghe” along with Oppa :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’ve tried Synthesia years ago when I first decided to learn, even watched some videos on YT. Didn’t really work for me the way sheets do, but I might revisit it. :slightly_smiling_face:

My keyboard is not that good :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

All good. Go with whatever works best for you :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth, while I was using it, I very rarely hooked up the keyboard through midi and instead would just use Synthesia to play, pause, and rewind to play small parts of a song to learn each part individually, and then go back to play combined parts, and eventually the full song.

1 Like

@tonybe This site with the Adele song has the ABC system. :frowning:

@yebellz The same about the sheets you posted and every Google result I find. :frowning:

To give an example, if someone said they learned the Korean terms for Go years ago, you wouldn’t tell them they have to learn the Japanese terms to play, just because they are the most common/ popular/ familiar for you, right?.. :wink:

The page also shows you exactly what key to play on the piano - regardless of whether you refer to it as “C” or as “do” it’s the same key

I mean, if you want to be really rigid and insist that you are only willing to learn from resources which are very difficult to find, then I guess I can’t stop you.

If you want to show just the tiniest bit of adaptability and put little stickers on your keys labeled
C=do
D=re
E=mi
F=fa
G=sol
A=la
B=ti

then you might actually accomplish your original goal which was learning some new tunes. [shrug emoji]

1 Like

I asked for sheet music in the keys I’m used to in my country. If anyone knew where I could find that. That’s all.
I don’t need stickers or video visual aids with highlighted keys, I don’t see why you are too rigid to understand that.

It comes down to the fact that

1. the specific resources you are looking for are really difficult to find
  2. a wealth of other resources exists, in a slightly different format
  3. the work needed to adapt to the format of the new resources is actually pretty simple (i.e. you can ignore both the “do” and the “C” information, and just look at where people put their fingers on the keys, since all piano keyboards are the same everywhere).

Given those 3 things, your options are to either continue to be frustrated by the lack of specific resources and not learn the tunes you want to learn - or - change your learning a tiny little bit and move forward on learning.

I can’t change the fact that the resources you’re looking for are unavailable. I’m just trying to point out options. If you don’t like those options, then I’m out of ideas…

1 Like

I don’t want to jump on the bandwagon, but (as a very mediocre piano player) I must say this is the first time I see sheet music with the notes written like this. I am French and took piano lessons for a few years in France with the do-re-mi system. Maybe you could look into piano books/websites for children?

So that this post is not completely useless, I strongly recommend the “Gnossiennes” by Erik Satie. They are quite simple and repetitive but very emotional and you can play with various feelings even as a beginner. A bit harder, the first pieces from “Klavierbüchlein von Anna Magdalena Bach” are very nice.

4 Likes

No, what you are doing is that you can’t just say "I don’t know, sorry, best of luck :slight_smile: ". You want to impose the way you do things on me just because.

I know very well how to google things, my question was specifically about sheets with do-re-mi. You don’t get to disregard my question just because you don’t have an answer.

Also, you say they are difficult to find and unavailable, for you. A person answering from a country that uses that system could easily point me to the right place, well I didn’t happen to have one read the post. it was worth a try, I’m OK with that.

I’m not frustrated by the lack of anything, I just asked. I’m frustrated by people thinking A. I don’t know how Google works, B. I don’t know what I want.

And it’s perfectly within my rights to not want to learn a song by

This is not what I want to do. Simple as that.

1 Like

I know people say it’s simple, but I enjoy that very much. :slight_smile: I’ll try finding it, I’ll sound impressive when I play it. :slight_smile:

The sheet I posted above is “Sealed with a kiss” and I only got it printed. I know it came from a website and I had hopes that site might have more songs that I like but I can’t find it nowhere. :frowning:

1 Like

I wish you luck in your search. Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.

4 Likes