My favorite language is clearly the best and all others are horrible because

Continuing a tangent started in the “Open Source OGS” thread

I guess I’ll start: Python is the best because f**k (optional) semicolons!

7 Likes

Haskell, because it was so much fun to learn.

4 Likes

Go, because let’s get the obvious joke out of the way.

13 Likes

R is clearly the best, since its the only one i know how to use! ^____^

2 Likes

Common Lisp: S-expressions are beautiful.

7 Likes

No code! (Bubble.io)

C is the only real computer language. Everything else is just a slow and bloated abstraction on top of C.

10 Likes

Ahhh how did I not think of that. You’ve won this round.

I’m pretty sure C is just an unnecessary abstraction of machine code. Oh how I yearn for the days of ones and zeros!

8 Likes

It’s abstractions all the way down! ; )

9 Likes

C++ is the best. It knows everything C does and more. It’s good for anything from bitwise operations to top-level stuff. It’s fast, well documented and widely used. You can easily adapt a functional or objective oriented structure in it. Anything large or serious should be written in cpp.
Although I’m lazy so I usually use python :slight_smile:

5 Likes

strcat is OK. But StringBuilderFactoryManagerSingletonService should die.

I tried FORTRAN 77 once. That is how I imagined that programming would be before I started doing it. You can try this blast from the past with gfortran and this nice tutorial: http://web.stanford.edu/class/me200c/tutorial_77/ I’ll admit that upper case FORTRAN is also real programming even though it is not ASM.

4 Likes

Assembly language!! It is easier than machine code after all. :crazy_face:

On a serious note though, I can’t believe JavaScript hasn’t been mentioned yet. (I can’t say that it is my favorite though because I don’t know much of it yet.)

3 Likes

Let’s get this xkcd “real programmers” gate-keeping out of the way too.

That being said, what’s your favorite text editor? Currently, I really like VS Code.

9 Likes

That is my preference as well. The simplicity of others is useful but I like all of the configurations and extensions that you can get with VS Code.

2 Likes

We already had a thread for this.

I try not to roast JavaScript too much as I wouldn’t be typing here without it. But I hope that is not your first programing language.

10 Likes

VS Code is cool. Jupyter is comfy for python.

The only TRUE text editor… Vim in terminal

5 Likes

Well, I was a great fan of Turbo Pascal until they made Turbo C. :innocent: