My opponent left, I waited 29 min

It’s also worth noting that AFAIK we still have the new bug where rank is not properly taking into account annullment.

No, anoek has fixed that bug, although it appears the annulment power does not extend back for 100 games as originally intended. anoek began looking into that aspect after I reported it.

Does this bug also mean that the auto annul thing only extends to 100 games? I suppose most people have fewer than that but enough people have more I should think.

The reference to 100 games means the 100 most recent games. It is not an absolute limit. As I mentioned earlier, we used to be limited to the 15 most recent games. 100 games is plenty. This has no effect on auto-annulments (i.e., when games end with less than two moves), because that is just one game, and almost always the most recent.

Conrad, can you explain to me what the difference is between annulling and making it a tie? What would I expect to see in the result?

If a game is annulled, it is as if it does not exist. I am not sure how rating points are allocated in a tie, as I am not a mathematical techie in terms of the details of the scoring system. Perhaps @flovo or @AdamR could answer that.

Then why did you tell me that Mark most likely asked me if i wanted to have the game as a tie? If you do not know what a tie is? You don’t believe what I complained about. It is offensive to me to call me dishonest. And again, I did not know that cancelling a game is different than annulling it.

Furthermore, my upset about the 29 min wait is that that person was not punished. And yes, I am a revengeful person. I have had many upsets playing and this was just one more.

I do not need to know how points are allocated in a tie to know that mark5000 said he offered to decide it as a tie, IIRC. I also don’t need to know how tie points are allocated to know that a mod can’t cancel a game, and that a game can’t be canceled after the second move. Finally, and most important, you are misrepresenting what I said. I did not say you were being dishonest; I said I did not find your statement credible. It is obvious that it could have resulted from confusion about terminology or a faulty memory. Nevertheless, it requires correction so others do not become confused about the facts. If I thought you were lying, I would say so, but I didn’t.

3 Likes

To dive into the details:

• Annulment only has to do with the rating system, and nothing else. An annulled game behaves as if it was an unranked game. The results of the game is the same, it is just that the rating system ignores this game.
  • Games have a result, such as White + 6.5 points, or Black + Disconnection. Two of those results are “Cancellation” and “Tie”.
    • “Cancellation” happens when one of the two players decides to cancel the game before the first two moves are played. For example, this is a good thing to allow players to cancel a game when their opponent doesn’t show up. Cancelled games are automatically annulled, since in a cancelled game one of the two players did not move at all.
    • At the moment a “Tie” is only possible through moderator intervention, and I’m not completely sure how the rating system interprets it, but presumably it interprets it like a Tie, probably something along the line of giving both players half of the expected rating points like they played two games and both won one each.

I think it would also be helpful for everybody here if everyone would assume that nobody is trying to offend anybody.

5 Likes

“I did not find your statement credible” Credible means not to believe or believe that I misunderstood. In your despair to defend your friend you brought up “a tie” which it is definitely Not what Adam offered to me.

Once again, the request to assume that nobody here is trying to insult you…

4 Likes

Yes, I have cancelled games before I click. But I thought that both words annulling and cancelling meant the same.

2 Likes

Yes, I understand the mistake, since the words are synonymous in other contexts.

5 Likes

Perceiving rating points as a reward seems to be one of the reasons why some people find the current policies problematic. They are not intended to be that. (And I fully agree that they should not be such.) But what other reward system do we have in place? Not much. Maybe we should think about that.

5 Likes

I certainly hope that I am not considered to be a liar. :smile:

1 Like

I like the idea. Reward badges for 10 wins in a row, 100 wins in total, beating someone 2, 3, 4 stones stronger :grin:

1 Like

I mostly play in ladders and tournaments, which have their own rewards and in my experience, not many problems with sandbaggers/escapers. I think I’ve only had one game annulled by a moderator ever.

2 Likes

Yeah but we still have essentially the same problem- people will complain if they lose a reward that got annulled

One thing I think would be nice: a difference between annulled and de-ranked.

Annulled: the game result is wrong in some way. This makes sense in early cancellations because there couldn’t be a winner or a loser.
De-ranked: the result is correct (win by Timeout) but it doesn’t help our ranking system so we’re removing it from the calculation.

5 Likes