My Suggestions for improvement

Hello :smile:

I have been playing for a while and would love to support OGS with suggestions. Please feel free to criticize my wishes and I want to apologize if some of them are faulty.

1. Timer to set inactive chat users afk.
  2. Some more Channelcommands like /away /back
  3. A Way to cancel a Game without rating it. Only if both want it, forsure.
  4. A ignorelist, but this could be already in development.
  5. A Mentor system to set a relationship between teacher and students. There could fallow several functions. e.g. students could highlight games to request a Review. Or they could start a unranked game, which appears as an educational game in the history.
  6. Would be great to disable the E-Mail-Notifications. I know about the Notification Preferences. But I can not turn off the notifications as well as retain the popups.
  7. The “Has recently timed out of a game” should disappear after a certain time. I have to play another game like that to clear it from my profile … otherwise it remains forever. A month has passed - thats not rly “recently”.
  8. I can not leave the “Demo-Board”. After i started one, all menulinks are “not working” or leading me back to the demo game. Furthermore, i can only end the game with closing the tab.
  9. This is OGS and not Facebook, but it could be great to get something like a questbook on the profile. Player could praise the behavior, warn about bad manners/insults or just leave some greetings.
  10. Most newcomers here are always asking how they could improve their skill or learn some basics. I refer to the puzzles which helps a lot but i can’t be everywhere and play against all newcomers. It would be great to link some of the basic puzzles (e.g. flowing’s puzzles) to the “Learn to play GO” Section.
  11. During a review, it would be great to give someone control over one group of the stones.
  12. Also, it often happens that the audience lose focus of the presenters turn. A button to refocus, or a setting to disable the controll of the audience or what ever could help here.
  13. A new game variant “teaching game” with the selection teacher or student. In these games, the teacher could make to point markings on the board to situations. Like warnings or possible moves. This variant would not be counted and appears as an teaching game in the history.

If this means that the chat would be spammed with away and back messages then NO. If it means that the afk status would change for the user then there would be no need to type so long commands. Any activity could trigger the /back and like you said timer for /away.

Do you mean visible list for all the people one has blocked / ignored? We can ignore people but I don’t know if there is a list that shows all the people we have ignored.

People can just post game URL to highlight them. Either in forums or in chat channels.

I don’t know what popups you are referring to but I have turned all my email notifications off and I still get chrome notifications. I have to agree that the notification system is a bit weird and could be improved.

What browser are you using?

I have to agree that this is not facebook.

YES! absolutely.

[quote=“Pempu, post:2, topic:2679”]
I don’t know if there is a list that shows all the people we have ignored.
[/quote] A list like that is missing atm.

What browser are you using?
[/quote] Firefox 33.1.1 - Could be a rare problem.

If this means that the chat would be spammed with away and back messages then NO. If it means that the afk status would change for the user then …
[/quote] These are just examples of possible commands. The chat could be improved by many methods and it feels a bit poor that i can only use /me. At least a way to set myself afk would be great.

Just a few thoughts.

[quote=“Hamlet, post:1, topic:2679”]

Timer to set inactive chat users afk.[/quote]I like this.

[quote]Some more Channelcommands like /away /back[/quote]not sure how this would work

good idea, I think.

[quote]A ignorelist, but this could be already in development.[/quote]Yes, IIRC this is in the pipe.

[quote]A Mentor system to set a relationship between teacher and students.[…] [/quote]I think this has been mentioned before … nice idea.

[quote] […] The “Has recently timed out of a game” should disappear after a certain time. I have to play another game like that to clear it from my profile … otherwise it remains forever. A month has passed - thats not rly “recently”.[/quote]Well, just finish one correspondence game that goes over more than 24 hrs :wink:

[quote][…] This is OGS and not Facebook, but it could be great to get something like a questbook on the profile. Player could praise the behavior, warn about bad manners/insults or just leave some greetings.[/quote]This would open the door to many quarrels, I fear, because ppl could leave insults as well.

Currently, it is possible to “share variations” in any game with analysis enabled, which allows players to display board mark-up and even hypothetical lines of play to each other. Also, the players can discuss freely via the chat system and any coordinates typed there are automatically converted into “pointers” (hovering over them shows a corresponding mark on the board).

As for making the game “not count”, one could always just make it unranked (which causes it not to effect the ranking points and keeps it out of the player’s overall win/loss records). OGS does not seem to currently support annotating games as “teaching”, but one could always set the title of the game to reflect that status. There is also no built-in support to set up an open challenge as a teaching game request, but currently setting up such a game seems to be well-handled via the forum/chat/PM systems.

I’m currently playing such a game as the teacher (or at least trying to teach). Take a look at this game to see what I was describing above:

This would be very useful. I tend to leave OGS running whenever I have my laptop on, even though most of the time I’m afk, so it’d be great to have a way to let people know I’m not there at the moment.

[quote=“yebellz, post:5, topic:2679”]
Currently, it is possible to “share variations” … discuss freely via the chat system and any coordinates typed …
[/quote]Hey yebeliz
Correctly. But i think its pretty easy to implement this game varation that makes teaching and learning easier. I can indeed link for some markers, but it disrupts the flow of the game to jump out again and again.