Napster's music sharing thread. Chit chat and links

I must have listened this about 8 times since discovering it yesteryesterday. Keeps getting better as well

3 Likes

The Ex gives mini-festival concerts in my hometown every so often, inviting their friends to play along (such as the Ethiopian band Fendika, Thurston Moore, Han Bennink). Those concerts are probably among the best concerts I have visited in my life. A lot of different music, seemingly unrelated. I mean, Ethiopian folk, jazz drumming, noise guitar and art-punk, those don’t mix right? (Well they do!)

I’m sad that I missed their last one because of not being home, which was a 40-year anniversary…

Also, very surprised to find someone who knows The Books. I had the idea nobody else would know know it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Morrissey’s newest album is pretty great, i completely missed it when it came out just noticed it the other day

1 Like

I’ve been a huge fan of Explosions in the Sky for a long time, they have some really fantastic stuff, this is one of my favorites. Really really like their first album they re-released too

4 Likes

Yeah they’re really something. Also, their titles are amazingly inspiring, it’s almost a shame their songs have no lyrics.

2 Likes
Verbage:

I really enjoyed the Explosions in the Sky videos: I had never heard of them. Reminded me very much of other post rock or post punk like Mogwai and Godspeed!

What cool concerts those must have been, very cool you’re privy to that. My oldest brother turned me onto The Ex at an early age… and I’ve always loved that album… You know I think I heard of The Books after I was looking into a Brian Eno album that he had made for airports to play (Music for Airports or something)… I stumbled upon The Books reading something about them developing elevator music for the municipality buildings in some capitol city… I can’t remember now w/out looking it back up. Those songs speak to me, ya know?

Oh gosh, what to post…

I think I’ll go w/ Moondog. Look into him. I recommend his self-titled albums from 1956 and 1969, respectively. He’s so undermentioned. I love and praise him and I find so few people in my area who have heard of him (and he even lived here for a while).

(This may be slow for some of you guys… but my other thought was TMBG… so brace yourselves for that next time).

I know this is a lot. Take your time. It’s worth it. You will receive significant buffs to your constitution.

4 Likes

Hey, I just listened to this and it is effing p r e c i s e.

All the lonely hearts sing the blues. All rebel people sing rock&roll. Music has no borders, only humans have. The latter part where this music turns into reggae is super cool.

1 Like

Cat’s foot iron claw
Neuro-surgeons scream for more
At paranoia’s poison door
Twenty first century schizoid man
貓足 鐵爪
神經外科叫喊著更多
偏執狂的毒氣室門口
二十一世紀的精神分裂者

Blood rack barbed wire
Politicians’ funeral pyre
Innocents raped with napalm fire
血架 刺網
政商權貴葬禮的柴堆
無辜者被汽油彈強暴
二十一世紀的精神分裂者

Death seed blind man’s greed
Poets’ starving children bleed
Nothing he’s got he really needs
死之種子 盲的貪婪
詩人的挨餓孩子在流血
從未得到他真正需要的
二十一世紀的精神分裂者

2 Likes

Freely high or low as he will, heavenly gifted voice and music talent

No death metal in this thread at all? Very disappointing. Allow me to break the ice with this very topical video.

1 Like

The ice is broken

1 Like
1 Like

Hong Konger Never Give Up

來吧 朋友

再不可退後

並肩 行進

痛擊這荒謬

睇清 我地

不想再忍受

高歌 我哋

堅壯像雨水散落每一寸土地

不枉血身上流

終會 勝利

把命運再建構

齊落 齊上

睇緊身邊戰友

回首 連結

阿媽姑姐老豆

出手 捍衛

不只我的自由

抓緊 節奏

未來在每雙手連住心中盼望

衆生的自由

終於 發現

真相不會獨奏

從傷悲 中攀起

似巨浪 般翻起

用智慧 與勇氣

守護我哋嘅屋企

新界人 ! 九龍人 ! 團結唔會被打沉 !

離島人 ! 港島人 ! 團結唔會被打沉 !

來吧 朋友

你不須屈就

埋沒 人性

你點可接受

睇清 制度

挑起各種恨仇

分化 割蓆

一切像已經預謀要將你我撕裂

分裝再出售

今天 我地

擺脫呢個毒咒

從傷悲 中攀起

似巨浪 般翻起

用友愛 與勇氣

守護我哋嘅屋企

新界人 ! 九龍人 ! 團結唔會被打沉 !

離島人 ! 港島人 ! 團結唔會被打沉 !

自己人 ! 自己人 ! 團結唔會被打沉 !

自己人 ! 自己人 ! 團結唔會被打沉 !

1 Like
2 Likes

Just wanted everyone to know that someone out there thinks that you are something special…

Singing their songs at the top of my lungs–maniacal like Gordon does–gives me such strong feelings of catharsis.

1 Like

I’d like to dedicate this piece to the Zeus Clock (Disconnect Clock):

1 Like

Not sure who to dedicate this one to. It’s legit. They’re playing the cave:

Special thanks to my local radio station for mentioning both!

2 Likes

Lots of good music around and quite a lot of things that I had never heard before :sunglasses: , so I thought I’d pop in with some things you definitely haven’t heard before either: Greek rock. (Don’t worry, I will provide translations as well when the lyrics are not in English )

Greek rock, imho, has some very distinctive characteristics:

• It has prominent bass lines and drums
  • Doesn’t much focus on guitar solos. Instead there is usually a guitar build-up that usually leads to, well, a climax or a surprise.
  • The singers are rarely something to brag about, but the lyrics are usually either poetic or worth listening to. Usually.
  • Even if you have no clue what the lyrics mean, the songs are always evocative. You can feel them, without having to understand them, considering that they are rarely about happy things

So, if you think that might be your cup of tea here is the first one, with English lyrics for starters, from a garage rock band establisted at 1983, called “The Last Drive” that still exists today and still plays that kind of music (which is imho quite impressive):

A weirdly uplifting piece and one of my favorites when growing up.
Enjoy! :slight_smile:

3 Likes
3 Likes