Neat problems from real games

Screenshot_2023-05-18-14-25-51-79

1 Like

In your last diagram, what if White plays O2 instead of N1?

Sorry i dont follow you here. Maybe use my demo with screenshot?

with nunerotation

1 Like

Yes I misread. Seems to be a big ko.

1 Like

Even no ko. Black descend, white too and black connect.

1 Like

If White 7 is right of Black 6 and Black descends, White descends, then Black connecting would be self atari ? Or did I misunderstand something?

1 Like

My demo is bugged but no self atari i think. Black has 2 libs (one below 1 and one left of the cut)

1 Like

So you weren’t thinking of this variation?

1 Like

No,i was on inversing 6 and 7 as you suggested in the dia before (6 and 5 here)

1 Like

OK I realized my variation was wrong (White just dies), and was saying that your variation leads to a big ko.

1 Like

Yes, seems to be the strongest resistance but this ko seems catastrophic…

Btw for ogs programers that’s one more example of bugged demo if useful for debug (moves desappearing and such)

1 Like
This is the game

17th Korean GG Auction Cup

White resigned after Black 259.

One variation I can think of where White's answer is useful

Now the black stones are dead, but White 254 avoids a semedori: that is, White 254 makes sure that White doesn’t have to lose points by playing inside their own territory to capture the black stones when Black plays all the dame around P6.

4 Likes

Go4Go Free_2023-07-23-22-38-44

Black’s next move in this game is not the first one I would think of

3 Likes
Guess

S17

Guess

T18

I think i saw a similar tsumego Tsumego

1 Like

That was also my first guess, but not Mi Yuting’s move.

Yup!

In the game

Black T18, White captures, Black S17, and then White takes the ko, and they exchange ko threats for a while. Then Black plays a ko threat and White resigns, presumably because Black still has many ko threats and White doesn’t have any other ko threat.

So why didn't Mi Yuting play jlt's move?

S17 and T18 both lead to almost the same ko.

I’m guessing it’s because Black gains one local ko threat by sacrificing at T18. Black can play this sequence as a local ko threat that launches a new ko:

3 Likes

Michael Redmond made a 30-minute video review of a super cool game, and it involves this tsumego in the Northwest corner:

He calls it a “classic” tsumego, with a fun tesuji for White to completely stop Black from making an eye in the corner. Except in the classic tsumego, White is not supposed to have a weakness at F16, so in the game Black plays at F16 at the appropriate time and lives.

So, in conclusion, these are the two tsumego:

White to play and kill.

Black to play and live.

2 Likes

Let’s try. For problem 1,

White kills with C19:
Sequence 1: C19 - D18 - E18 - D19 - B18
Sequence 2: C19 - B18 - D18 and Black has a false eye.

For problem 2, F16 - G16 - G17 - H16 - C18 - C19 - D18 - E18 - C17 (atari) - D16 (connect) - E19 (atari) - G18 (capture) - B19.

Not 100% sure…

Yup, all correct!

Problem 2 looks correct too, at least the idea is to make E19 sente.

(White should probably exchange A17 - A15 earlier otherwise it is too easy to make an eye?)

1 Like

black to play

AI move

1 Like