Nerf corners

Good points!

Now you mention it, that was another reason I was unhappy: an appeal to authority rather than understanding.

Sure, that’s also valid thing to wonder right?

So you can still use that method to explain explain why 0.333…=1/3.

I’m going to assume it’s not a speedrun as to who can explain something to people in the fewest steps or objections.

I guess that since this thread diverted to linguistics fairly early on, it was natural that mathematics pedantry would soon follow.

13 Likes

Lack of respect for moderators who later gonna have to reorganize the mess (unless one of them is included in the participants.) :wink:

Mind you, the OP left the topic pretty unclear!

2 Likes

My estimation is like 25% of the answers are on topic only.

That’s why you go to urban dictionary; search engines haven’t been good for at least a decade

Based on these timelines, the same users who don’t know the word nerf would also have trouble looking it up…

1 Like

But search engines were good at one point, before SEO killed their life, and at any rate one can still get what they want by going to urban dictionary instead of just hoping the search engine gives them a definition that isn’t decades out of date

Apparently you don’t even need Urban Dictionary!

6 Likes

Not to mention nerf - Wiktionary, the free dictionary , which is pretty comprehensively informative, as Wiktionary usually is. I often find Urban Dictionary too cluttered with slight variations.

2 Likes

I propose removing the edges altogether and implementing a wraparound system for the board. Imagine a 19x19 Go board where if you place a stone on one edge, it comes into play from the opposite edge!

Don’t let your play be influenced by boundaries like edges and corners!

1 Like

was already proposed in answer 3 of the thread.

Following the link provided by @benjito , you ll find AI, tournaments and more.

5 Likes

I think urban dictionary has a life and character that most dictionaries sadly lack

Dictionaries are like the laws and cavalry, they are by nature always coming late. (And touristic guidebooks, but now travelers use more internet)

3 Likes

I think it’s easy to add character when you can just make things up :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s not guaranteed, I don’t believe, that definitions and examples are widely in use in any way and people can just add them in as a joke.

1 Like

Yeah, it requires some common sense to locate the serious definitions, but not really anything more than asking yourself if the definition does a good job of explaining the word’s use in the context you saw it (and dismissing obvious troll definitions)

I sketched out some corner graph designs based on the snub square tiling. I think I’m on the right track, but don’t think the current designs will nerf corners enough. Will update soon

Here you go, OP.

5 Likes

Would this really “nerf” the corners? On the one hand, three points of territory have been taken from each corner, which makes traditional enclosures smaller, but also forces one to rethink all of the joseki and fuseki. With the shape of the corners fundamentally changed, with essentially three corner points (two-liberty intersections) now placed closer to the hoshi, it seems like the strategic action of the corner may have just been shifted more towards the center.

This is a bit speculative, since I haven’t analyzed it thoroughly nor really have the skill to do so confidently, but I would expect that the corner regions are still valuable areas to fight over, and perhaps the new shape make it a bit more flexible and easy to secure territory there. Overall, I think this change might just push the corner fighting closer to the center and sides, which may make those parts feel relatively smaller and of less importance.

2 Likes