New account conversion rate?

It’s easy to say that, but the current system also has its advocates. So enough noise needs to be generated to convince anoek it’s worth changing / a change desired by a majority of the community.

1 Like

I’m not even sure what the alternatives are! I guess some folks have proposed self-reported rank, but after that is there anything better than Glicko2? Elo?

1 Like

Note that two different things are being discussed–rank adjusting to be approximately correct (“reaching 25k”), and rank stabilizing (<70 deviation or whatever).

My rank curve might provide some insight. I was 20k immediately after losing to noob_bot, but then did indeed take 20+ games to be <80 deviation.

2 Likes

I must have lost this upgrade.
Do we really put newcomers at 6k rank?
I recall it was something like 12.5

2 Likes

Mod may correct me but it seems a change was made from 12k to 6k

1 Like

The new account glicko rating hasn’t been updated since the rank mappings were last changed. So what used to be 13k humble ranked down to 19k is now 6k with humble rank seemingly broken (if it worked it would treat beginners as 12k, but that seems to not be happening).

anoek always intend(ed/s) to update initial rating and humble rank to numbers that make the most sense for new accounts so that beginners can get beginner games and strong players can rank up quickly, but since then he has been bogged down by many things and has not had the time to adjust those values.

2 Likes