New ethic rules at OGS?

it is from another thread, but this looks like the n1 ethical rule if i ever saw it :grin:

nice until proven mean

2 Likes

I started with Go, 1,5 years ago. And in the first phase I wanted to know evereything about it.
I think if there would be a good beginners manualwith Go related things (“How do I start to play?”, “Should I study or play more?”, “9x9 vs 19x19?” to “How do I find good Go-books or tsumegos?” to things like “How to I creat a game?” to “How works the ranking system on OGS?”)
IT would be easy to implement a site with “Ethic rules: Wich behavoir is common or favored?” and probably more read then one could think.
I think Go-people are intresetd on learning and want to know stuff (even some ethic rules :).

1 Like

Yes, I also find it frustrating, when a correspondence game is abandoned soon after, starting. It often seems like it is done deliberately just to be annoying. Once I set up a correspondence game, and then went to go to the toilet and make a cup up tea. When I came back, someone had already accepted, the challenge, berated me several times for not making a move, and cancelled the game - all in about ten minutes.

The game was set to a five day per move maximum. I usually move within a day, and sometimes a lot quicker than that when both players are online at the same time, but this incident left me dumbfounded. Did this person not understand the concept of a long game or were they just being an arsehole?

Some very nice inspiration in this L19 thread: 10 Great Habits for Children Playing Weiqi

Also, for @BrodieRatel13 and others: cf. Hanlon’s Razor:
“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

(Although, in our cases and overall for games, I’d prefer using the friendlier word “confusion” instead of the harsh word “stupidity” :wink: )

2 Likes

Yes, you are right. I have met so many nice people here on OGS, that it seems churlish to complain about some of the odd experiences. They are thankfully few and far between.

I also share some people’s frustration with the many games that timeout; I understand that sometimes there are unavoidable circumstances (for example, my internet has gone off at home several times in the last year, and once took six weeks to get fixed). The last time was three weeks, and I caved and bought a smartphone, so I could keep playing - going to the internet cafe was getting expensive.

Sometimes life will get in the way. I wouldn’t propose punitive sanctions against those who timeout, and it doesn’t make much of a difference when the player who times out is a lower rank than you. But when they are higher, your grade can become inflated pretty quickly. I wish there was a away to avoid this.

About timeouts and general speed of the play. On one of chess sites each player has percentage of timeouts and average time to make a move on profile (I think, only last 3 months are counted). And when you create game you can restrict these numbers to desired values. Or something like that.

I m always a bit reluctant on this kind of proposal, just because our politeness is not the politeness of the world.
So i can play people who didnt greet me just because i dont know if it s a usual politeness where they live.

I like to think that we have a nice way to be polite but i restrain myself to think that everyone should do the same.

4 Likes

I like to give and receive a greeting, but some people may feel otherwise. Also, there are technical reasons that may prevent a greeting and TY at the end. If the zoom is set above 100%, the chat input line is below the window border, and expanding the window size does not bring it into view (at least on my computer). If I try to reset the zoom once a game has started, it scrambles the board image. This might explain why some players are uncommunicative. In addition, there seems to be a pregame timer (I suppose to give one time to make a greeting). I was startled by it on my first game (as B), thinking the game time had started, so I jumped right in. In general the instructions for OGS newbies need to be improved, as there are many details of server mechanics that are not explained.

I agree regarding the politeness of resigning, but as one person noted, weaker players (like me!) may not recognize a hopeless situation immediately. However, one point we could all agree on, I think, is that one should resign rather than abandon a game and force the winner to wait for the timeout. Some players certainly do this, probably as a childish act of revenge. Of course, people of bad character cannot be reached by rules of politeness. Also, there are trolls popping up regularly on OGS who start a game and then timeout just to waste time.

2 Likes