New experimental nav bar available

What happened to the nice informative subheadings?

A few days ago with one tap on the menu I could see my placings in the site ladders, which was cool :slight_smile:

Now that information no longer appears :frowning:

It would be great if it could be added back in.

Thanks.

It was taking up too much room for people with many tournaments and ladders. That information is now available on the ladders page.

3 Likes

For many days, I have noted confusing addition size-text in the names of the ladders on the ladder page, but NOT on my profile page (either old or new).

Compare from the ladder page

Site 19x19 Ladder 19x19
Site 13x13 Ladder 13x13
Site 9x9 Ladder 9x9

To my profile page
Site 13x13 Ladder
Site 19x19 Ladder
Site 9x9 Ladder

2 Likes

That was completely unintentional, I’ll get it fixed

3 Likes

Under “learn” it says “Sign up for AI game reviews” despite already being a supporter ^^

3 Likes

“OGS” logo and “Home” button do the same thing for me (which is nothing, since I don’t play corr). That’s 2 buttons in a 7 item bar, that do the same thing. Also, “supporting OGS” is both under “Learn” and “Community” under different names. It seems strange to me to have multiple buttons with the same functions in such a small menu.

4 Likes

I think I’d rather have the logo click and direct to home than have it there and do nothing. It’s really not that big of a duplication on mobile because you can’t see the home button by default for example.

The home button is still probably needed if you don’t think to click the logo (of course you don’t need it, but others do).

I think with players group lists appearing in the group page, tournaments in the tournaments page etc, it might end up clearing up the home page for a revamp anyway.

I guess active banners/notifications still appear there also.

1 Like

I agree that a “home” button is not needed given the functionality of clicking the logo (which I also think is pretty standard)
But I wonder if then an item is needed under “play” that is called something like “my games” that gets one to ongoing correspondence games.

I’m not sure that “home” taking you to ongoing correspondence games really makes complete sense. I think I’d expect home to be more like the play page or maybe a summary page/collection of quick play options, the top viewed game currently going on, latest announcements/chat/forum post, etc.

4 Likes

home page has so few functionality, most of which is also on profile page
maybe just unite home page with profile page and delete “home”?

5 Likes

Yes, and we wouldn’t need basically 3 clicks to access our profile and game history.

4 Likes

Most of it seems to have recently been moved (new interface), as was noticed here

So the duplication with the profile now is the ongoing games/correspondence, which means it must be doing not much for a new user or not a correspondence player as @snakesss says. Basically just a blank page for the moment (new interface).

But now that that’s all the home page is, it does make sense to turn it into something else.

Yeah I think that was one request for the home page previously - take something like the automatch component and throw it on the home page

I suppose it would make sense to have a few different overview type things, like a top game or top viewed game, there already was announcements there. Chat and forum updates there could be disagreement about potentially as to whether it’s useful :slight_smile:

It’s more like two clicks with the new upper right logo/drop down thing where the avatar is.

Is the game history something that one wants on the home page by itself? Interesting idea at least.

Certainly a duplication, but on the one hand you might think of one as useful for people who think “I just want to find the donate button” (community one), while the other for people that want to learn using Ai (maybe they don’t realise supporting offers ai reviews).

It kind of makes sense in a way.

Anyway just trying to generate/expand the discussion points.

4 Likes

Logo directing Home dates back to 1996 Yahoo (see this StackExchange question). It’s safe to assume internet users are familiar with this convention :slight_smile:

+100. I would love to have the automatch buttons on the home page. This idea came up a couple times in the “How intuitive is OGS” thread

6 Likes

Does the fact that a save icon has been represented as a floppy disk for years mean that new users, newer generations will intuitively know that that’s what it is and does, again just because it’s been there for many years, possibly before they were born?

1 Like

I think people still know what these archaic things mean don’t they?
:telephone_receiver::email:

UK speed camera sign

6 Likes

It’s a reasonable point, and maybe the floppy disk thing is just a myth.

What, if anything, should replace the floppy disk icon?

:cloud:

4 Likes

Since the intention is to save

:eye: :eye:

This just makes me think of meaning “b” in British English https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/aye-aye

1 Like

I feel like that would at least need an up arrow inside it

2 Likes