New feature: Play short sound when game begins

Many times it takes time until an opponent is found. Therefore I switch to other browser windows or apps on my computer instead of waiting desperately. This makes me miss the start of the games and often games are canceled because there is not real way to tell if they have started, especially when I have the first move.

A “game is starting” sound indicator would be very helpful. Do you think this would be possible?

EDIT: MODS STARTED DELETING MY POSTS. SORRY THAT’S PATHETIC. I’M OUT.

4 Likes

This request comes up very regularly.

Please vote for it here: https://ogs.uservoice.com/forums/277766-online-go-com-suggestions-and-feature-requests/suggestions/18785674-can-we-have-an-audible-warning-that-a-challenge-ha

3 Likes

Why does something so basic and no brainer require formality?

Because developers are human with finite amounts of time and the desire for features is infinite in nature :slight_smile:

Plus, if it’s a no brainer the interface code is open source. You’re free to send some code.

6 Likes

ok here is the code. Now when do we get a startup sound?

let idx = Math.round(Math.random() * 10000) % 5;
sfx.play(“stone-” + (idx + 1));

Well witty remarks aside,
if you really know how to code it, then go on github and present it there. If your code is on par, I am sure devs will be happy to get it merged.

3 Likes

I think you don’t get it. It is a one liner. Devs - whoever they are - have no real effort.

I’m not taking that. The devs do a great job here! They have a small team and many requests. If this is important to you, go contribute to the community as has been suggested. The devs are usually happy to merge almost all functioning pull requests. But don’t sit here saying the devs have no effort because they’re not doing something you can’t be bothered to do.

5 Likes

… and it’s not “whoever they are”. Everyone knows who they are - they are our friends here in the forum.

They listen to reasonable requests and debates about features, prioritize all the demands, and do a great job.

Painting them as faceless entities who aren’t doing anything is stupid and rude. Being rude isn’t the way to get things done.

5 Likes

To further GaJ’s point… I’ve been involved in a number of online communities, and I don’t think I’ve ever come across one that has had the devs actively participating in forum discussion as much as I have witnessed here. We are all incredibly grateful for the long hours and hard work they put in, much of it being volunteer time!

3 Likes

Devs also fix the mods who are deleting my posts.

I agree with you! I added my vote.

1 Like

As far as I can see, no posts have been deleted… You have had some posts flagged as inappropriate and that will hide them. But you have had no moderator action.

1 Like

@Dorien,

@anoek accepts merge pull requests at our GitHub repo.

3 Likes

Until such a feature is added, consider setting up custom games with you as white. That will provide a stone click from your opponents first move to provide the desired alert. :innocent:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.