New Interactive Tutorial for Beginners

It looks great, certainly has come a long way since its early days. Well done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, fixed

Yes, please, I am very grateful for any correctios :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@AdamR, I edited my previous post to note some typos on the rules page. I’m just pointing that out in case you didn’t see the edit.

Indeed, I missed that. Sorry and thank you, I have edited the entry :slight_smile: Not sure how I managed to switch Ing and NZ komi :smiley: :frowning_face: Great catch

3 Likes

Hi, looks great! Nice resource for beginners and (as a not beginner anymore) I liked the comment to keep things simple in capturing some stones :slight_smile:

However, the second bonus quiz crashes both chrome and the samsung browser on my Android phone.

Just the second quiz? First one works?
And thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

The first works in samsung app (but it seems to reload a few times), but not in chrome. In chrome it displays an error page ‘unfortunately something went wrong displaying this page, please reload’ (in Dutch for me)

The second quiz crashes both browsers.

1 Like

Huh, thank you. Not sure what I did wrong (and they work for me), but I’ll try to find some mistake :smiley:

2 Likes

looks like with all this fuss I’m gonna have to get it field tested with a fresh newbie and see about replacing the usual iwtg link I hand out to everyone :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hi, this looks great and as someone who has started a couple of clubs in schools it will be fantastic for me. I’ll try and have a detailed look through if I get the time but from a random dip in I had one thought. The prose is great and at a nice level of (in)formality. I think we should take a little more care with some terms though. I was a little uncomfortable with the somewhat pejorative use of blindness “(unless he’s blind)” in https://www.learn-go.net/lessons/08/
I think there are many ways to make the point (unless they are distracted/not paying attention not looking properly)
I understand the intent and recognise there is no harm meant but there are go sets for blind and partially sighted people and they might well make use of this resource. I feel there’s no harm in being as inclusive as possible.
And similarly, although maybe more importantly and not as easy, I would prefer “they” or maybe “she” instead of “he” generally or in alternation. Maybe you already do this but I’ve but looked at other pages. However, among the children I teach there are many girls who play but when they go to tournaments is obvious that it’s mostly men. Anything that could fight the assumption that go is only played by men is useful to my mind.

4 Likes

Oh, yes, sure. My humour is sometimes a bit crude, I will change that in some future update.

We were trying to stick to the somewhat “traditional” manner where Black is regarded as he and White as she (which I regard as a nice and still readable compromise), but it is quite probable I missed some spots.

If you see some or encounter something else I would be very grateful if you let me know, and I will try to fix.

8 Likes

(unless he’s blind)

even when he’s blind

blind go

6 Likes

Much much better than IWTG. I had a number of issues with that site, and none of those are in this one.

A few comments…

1. Any plans for a dark theme?
  2. You may was to bold or underline important text, such as “Players get points for surrounding territory and by capturing the opponent’s stones.” Then clearly state that you are going to cover capturing stones first, then cover what it means to surround territory after.
  3. I’d suggest keeping the terminology consistent throughout. So for example, I just mentioned how you tell the reader that you need to “surround territory”, but there is no mention of surrounding or territory at all on the home page. It is the “pass and count” page. The word “pass” doesn’t come up at all (in context of passing in the game) in any of the pages leading up to “pass and count”.
  4. Similar to the above, make it very clear what you mean by " Then the player with more points wins", so it could be written as Then the player with more points (captures and surrounded territory combined) wins, so that readers know that that you can do both, or just one in the actual game to win.
  5. You have good tips as red text. Maybe it’s a North American thing, but I have to consciously tell myself these are good things, not bad, as that’s what I auto-associate with red.
  6. You have “where and how we place stones”, but how' doesn't make sense for online play. It's also not talked about in the section, so I'm left wonderinghow do i place a stone?’
  7. Maybe avoid stuff like “(duh)” or “obviously”, because if someone who isn’t really good at reading English, or is young and doesn’t have full reading comprehension yet, reads that and doesn’t get it right away, they may be turned off.
  8. There is a well populated (1000+) go discord that is server and nation neutral that would be worth adding to the “where to learn”. https://discord.gg/fj2DtV

If I think of more stuff, I’ll add another post.

5 Likes

Oh yes, I totally agree with this one. A reader of the word ‘obviously’ basically has the choice to be bored (if it really is obvious) or insulted (if it isn’t). :smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to check and write all that!

Yes, but it will probably take a while. I have already spent too much on the project, and will have to limit my time resources a bit. But yeah it is something I would like.

2., 3., 4., All true, I will try to work them in tomorrow, or by the end of the week.

1. Interesting. I see them as something not to be missed :smiley: I will try some other colors, but I may be difficult on this one, I kind of liked how it fits with the rest of the color scheme :smiley:

And the rest is all also yes. Sorry for not commenting with something more clever, but you are probably right :slight_smile: I will fix that as well.

Thanks again for all the pointers

7 Likes

This is one of the few things that are really worth more than the time an effort that goes into it. We’ll do whatever we can to help you, I’m sure.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s just me, but for highlighting text as significant, especially on a white background, nothing really stands out quite as much as red. I see it more as “Significant, don’t ignore me” rather than explicity “Error.” Though, for sure, that is a common subset.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I left it as a comment and not a suggestion. Colours are tricky because they’ll mean different things to different cultures and people.

https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/colours-in-cultures/

This link is a little off topic, but it’s useful if you’re choosing a specific target audience. Otherwise it’s nice to know if you’re gonna give the wrong impressions when you link colours to emotion.

4 Likes

Yes, it seems that the bug exists in the library, and is reproducible on their own demo page.

I’ve opened an issue on their GitHub repo to report the issue.

By the way, that open-source library (jGoBoard) is released under a Creative Commons license. Unless you’ve already made other arrangements, I believe that license requires attribution to be stated somewhere on your site. It would also be nice to acknowledge that library and the WGo library in the credits section.

4 Likes

Link is now up at Other Go Resources under Learning Resources as “Interactive Tutortial for Beginners”

2 Likes