New Year Resolutions

Time of the year to set them!

2 Likes

Never set any NY’s resolution.
If I become aware that I want to change something in my life, I will start right away with it (and not wait till the end of the year).

4 Likes

My resolutions:

1. be the kind of a person who reads Japanese stories
  2. be a programmer

It’s identity based habits I want to form. See Identity-Based Habits: How to Actually Stick to Your Goals This Year

I’d like to get back on track with Japanese, for it’s a language full of nice literature. Programmer because there’s much I want to make, but in all the years I couldn’t get into becoming the kind of person.

Reading I’ll start like I did with German this year(successfully learned it this year): start with one page daily, do more after a while. Described it in detail here On starting small, and my New Year's reading resolution | Kelamir's writings

Programming… I’ll see :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Who said NY is the only time for resolutions? It can be one among others.

2 Likes

I wish you all the luck, but expect reading to be a lot harder than German (unless you already read Chinese).

It’s one of the two things in Japanese that costs a lot more effort than learning an average language, the other being politeness.

5 Likes

Here’s a tip for you to make a resolution, generated by GPT-J AI:
tips for making a new year resolution:

1. don’t do it.
  2. if you must, do it in 2013.
  3. if you must do it in 2013, do it in 2014.
  4. if you must do it in 2014, do it in 2015.
  5. if you must do it in 2015, do it in 2016.
  6. if you must do it in 2016, do it in 2017.
  7. if you must do it in 2017, do it in 2018.
  8. if you must do it in 2018, do it in 2019.
  9. if you must do it in 2019, do it in 2020
7 Likes

It isn’t going to be that hard for me. I studied the language for 2+ years, but I didn’t use it as much. I’ve given reading a try recently and it’s fairly fun.

2 Likes

But writing is beautiful, i can understand that already.

2 Likes

In this spirit I started in October with being less strict on myself. I’ve been struggling to do everything I want to do, and anytime I make promises to myself like “I’m going to do at least X amount of Y every Z”, I usually end up doing that for about a week or two and then slack off and get demotivated.

Instead, since October I’ve not set myself any particular goals, and have only been keeping track of what I’m doing retrospectively. I can’t fail my expectations since I have none, and somehow it’s easier to keep doing something consistently for longer periods of time, since the longer breaks of not really achieving a supposed goal don’t weigh me down as much.

So my New Year Resolution is to keep doing this and not set any expectations :slight_smile:

7 Likes

If i have one resolution, it’s to stop smoking.

10 Likes

In that case, it should be doable, assuming you’ve learned about 1000 kanji already :slight_smile:

Still, I’ve been studying Japanese for about 5 or 6 years (not full-time), and reading is still pretty difficult to me. But then again, I don’t practice it enough…

6 posts were split to a new topic: Wanting to become a developer

I’m aiming to learn to play the drums. It’s not a very good resolution as I don’t have a particular success point in mind but hopefully I can practice a bit most days and keep it up for a month or two!

Edit: also to spend less money (e.g. on things like drum kits…)

7 Likes

Themes:

CGP Grey’s answer to the idea of New Year Resolutions

2 Likes

I’ll just stick to Go resolutions here: I want to study endgame more seriously. Right now, counting endgame values is really painful for me, I get lost when I try to keep track of variations and of the scores of the players in each variation, so the first step is to actually count during games, even incorrectly. I’ll try to practice that in correspondence games (and I’ve already started a bit). I also plan to study in books, I don’t know yet if I’ll start with Robert Jasiek’s or with Antti Törmanen’s. Or maybe both.

I will also continue to play and try new things on my alt account (I know it’s silly but I don’t want to “spoil” my rank on my main account).

It’s hard to say if I am still improving since ranks fluctuate in intervals [n,n+2] so any improvement by 1 stone or less is hard to detect. I’ll just keep trying to reach my maximum potential, which is probably not far away, and enjoy playing.

3 Likes

Nah. Ask your son to keep an eye on you when you do your homework (L&D). I’m sure your progress margin is still wide.

4 Likes

I want to expand my family by one cat in 2022 ^____^

6 Likes

I m thinking of a donkey myself

4 Likes

1 Like

That’s on my to do list also. I have heard (I’m not sure where, maybe Antti’s book or another?) that in shorter time control games pros probably don’t count the value of moves but play them in order of size intuitively (edit: maybe it could’ve been one of Michael Redmonds streams either, just a random question). I guess that’s how I play endgame at the moment, the idea being that after the game someone (or katago) will tell you which moves you played out of order, and then you try learn from that and fix it next time.

I guess the more games played to endgame the better that process is. Studying it though also seems like a good way to learn the tesuji, but also to know when to tenuki :slight_smile:

1 Like